What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious Noob Alert!

Winstons Myth

Magredana-Ideas-9-Small-Centre.jpg

Hi all and thanks for getting past the title and reading this far at least!

I am a former musician turned chef who, whilst being basically "smart" enough to turn my hand to most things, I currently find myself getting ready to open my own restaurant and, well, discovering the delights of knowing very little about Photoshop aside from some real basics learned many moons ago!

So, here is the deal...

I am living in Peru, I have a marketplace divided pretty much 50/50 foreigners and locals and I will have a restaurant of the highest food, drink and service quality in the entire region, possibly one of the best in the country (all going to plan!).

I have spent the past week reading articles and "tuts", watching "tut" videos and basically trying to gen up on the whys and wherefors of CS5. I am quite pleased with how far I have managed to get in such a short time, but time is very much of the essence and I have to move a little quicker...

...which is where I hope that you guys can help!

I have designed a logo and I am pretty pleased with it in general, although I now find myself endlessly fiddling with it in a bid to improve it and seem to just keep going left and right and not really forwards!

To cut this shorter, I am going to attach a copy of the lastest incarnation and leave it to you guys to "let me have it"!!!

Serious critique is welcome...Tips on layout, text choices, logo choices etc. are welcome. Genuine opinions regarding style (or lack of it) are welcome.

Offers to pay somebody else to do it are not welcome! Offers to jump in a river as I have no talent may be reasonable but they are not welcome!

I hope that you get where I am trying to go with this logo and hope that some good ideas come spewing forth from within this community!

Thanks in advance,
Winstons Myth

Welcome Winstons Myth....

Quite good. My spanish is a bit scratchy but "Like at home with a difference"..... is that correct? A good line. What does Magredana mean?

Good choice for a Peruvian design ... I've seen things like that. Font and gold fill and gradients are clean.

Over-all ... well designed logo..... Good luck in your endeavour....

Welcome Winstons Myth....

Quite good. My spanish is a bit scratchy but "Like at home with a difference"..... is that correct? A good line. What does Magredana mean?

Good choice for a Peruvian design ... I've seen things like that. Font and gold fill and gradients are clean.

Over-all ... well designed logo..... Good luck in your endeavour....

"Like at home, but different..." - Well done that man! Spanish not so scratchy after all!

The logo is actually the Sun of the Moche, an old pre-Incan tribe that still, in straggles, exists to this day. Well spotted there too!

Really glad you liked it and thank you for your well-wishes. Much appreciated.

Welcome.Well done!

Thanks Dad!

I think that I might just leave it for a week and then come back to it and see how I feel. Starting to get like I cannot see the wood for the trees...

...or should that be the typeface for the gradient fill?!??!

Sorry, cheap joke there!

I will suggest using a different font on the lower part,I just realized it's kind of tricky to read

I know what you mean...Kind of found the font by accident and got stuck to it!

Will mess around with it now and see what gives!

Any font suggestions for something with that "feel" but cleaner?

What font is that.... I like it.... where did find that?

Can't remember where I found it, but it is called Kingthings Wrote (?!??!) and is attached ;)

I have to say, I am really very fond of it too!

The main font is Bradley School Dropout...Also attached :)

Attachments

• kingthings-wrote.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 12
  • BEAUTYSC.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 11
Magredana Ideas 9 Vladimir.jpg

Magredana Ideas 9 Turbayne.jpg

Magredana Ideas 9 Saginaw.jpg

Magredana Ideas 9 Pristina.jpg

Magredana Ideas 9 Bradley Script.jpg

Ok...5 "new" versions, each with a different lower font and three different levels of transparency on the sun.

Comments, recommendations, likes and dislikes duly appreciated!

Thanks,
Winstons Myth

Main Font Looks good; icon is solid. I don't like the font for the tag line it seems too loose and ragged; for a logo I would have used something a little tighter.

Something to think about: Always ensure that your logo works in colors other than the perfect gradients you worked out in photoshop. When it comes to the many different kinds of printing and surfaces those colors generally won't look as perfect. Especially what you have here, these colors look great on screen but I would be very surprised to find they are acceptable to you when printed on anything from a four color press to a desktop printer. Do some research on this topic.

My Suggestion: Move the Company name to the right of the icon so that they are not overlapping and have ample space between each other so that they are separate elements. I would either make the underline thinner or loose it all together. I would look a littler more for the handwritten font i think there i s a nice one that comes with cs5; called dakota. Make it work on a Make it work in black and grey on a white background (no gradient) then pick two colors that can take the place of the black and grey; you might like one of these colors to be black or grey. Make sure you save the color; look up how to use pantone colors. That is your logo.

You could use what you have there as a sign or a header for your menus even art for inside the restaurant. You have good elements that you can play with and make some really great stuff. Just remember that your logo should be clear and definitive.

Also I don't know how much it would cost; you should look into having a sign that is the logo or what you have here that is cut or stamped from actual metal, It just has the look.

Back