What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set effect?

samifox

Hi

Is there any way to apply an effect to a set?..

for example,i wanna create several shapes which intersact with each other and apply a stroke effect...but like you can guss i need the stroke in the edge of the global shape and not for each shape.

Hope im clear.. ;\

(Please dont tell me to marge them...cuz than they'll become uneditable and resterized)

SHay

That is not possible. The only way to do it, is by adding the effects to one layer, link all other layers in the set, select Copy Layer Style and select Paste Layer Style to Linked.

hi Gues!

Than i'll get unwanted resut like this:

Shay

The same needle in haystack again Shay...

The only way to do it is by merging them, but since that's not what you wanted...

Samifox, why don't you just make copies of the layers involved, merge the copies and apply the effect you want... retaining your original individual layers? [confused]

[doh] Stalker!

I need it to be dynamic and its hard work to marge and reserve copy all the time its must be easier.

i've illustrator 10...i know its off the issue but can someone tell me how to do it there?

Shay
thankx

Oooo! [slick]
Looks like i get to be the hero this time! :D
Just use a Vector Shape layer Shay. That'll do the job you need.

Like this:

1) Choose the Vector Shape tool from the Toolbar (U key). And also click on the Vector Layer button on the far left side of the Options bar. It's the 1st one in that row -- the filled-in square with the Path nodes around it. Now create your first Vector shape.
Then before continuing, click the "Add Shapes" button in the Options bar -- the 2nd button in that row, with the 2 squares merged together.

2) Create the other shapes you want, using any of the Vector preset shape tools -- circle, oval, square, rectangle, etc...

3) Fill them with your chosen colour if you like, then right-click the shapes layer (not on the preview thumbnails, but on a part of the layer to the right of those) and choose "Blending Options". Select the "Stroke" filter -- bottom of the list. Setup the filter to what you want. The Stroke will be applied to the shapes as if they were only one big shape.

Now... if you'd like to edit the shapes, do this:

1) Choose the PEN tool from the either the Options Bar, or the normal Toolbar.

2) Hold down the CTRL key (Cmd for Mac), and click on the specific shape you want to change. Then when its control points become visible, you can select the ones you want to move to change the shape. Once selected, just use the mouse or arrow keys to move the control points around.

TIP: You can also add new control points to any shape by simply holding the PEN tool over one of the lines around the shape and clicking on it. You should notice then that the cursor turns into a Pen tip with a + sign beside it; which means "add a control point".

Did i win?!! ;\ [honesty]

Oooh, great one, Mark! Yes you win a cookie of your choice! I shoulda known this myself, since I did just that when making a stained glass image.

Nice solution Mark :perfect:

But I have some remarks. It might be a good idea to mention in step 1 that the "Add Shapes" button is greyed out if one doesn't have a shape yet.

I don't know what it is with step 3, but if I right click on the shapes layer in my PS7, then I have a greyed out strokes option.
I guess I'm missing something here... [confused]

[confused] I'm lost too... like Gauss, when I right-click on the shape layer, I don't have the stroke option as being active.

[confused] The other thing that confuses me... are these shapes on separate layers Mark?

Goog job Mark...you are the winner! :perfect:

now........i have one more suggestion in the same subject..

can i do something like this :(intersect effect i call it ;) )

Thanks

Hi guys.

Samifox...
Thanks, glad it worked for ya.
And the answer to your other question is completely dependant on whether you want to use a very specific colour within the intersecting areas of the various shapes. If you do, then no, that effect is not possible to do in any 'automated' sense. You'd have to simply fill the shapes/segments manually.

On another note though... (see example image below)
You CAN try using either "Exclusion" or "Difference" blend modes on the various layers that overlap. That'll produce an effect like the one you showed. But you'd have to diddle with which colours you used, because you'd have to use complimentaries to produce the ones you actually want.
Just try it, and you'll see what i mean.

It should be noted here that this will not be applicable to the effect created in the outlined Vector shapes described above. Vector Shape layers can only have a single colour fill applied to them.

Gauss... Wendy...
Yes, those things you mentioned could be confusing to those not totally familiar with the Options for the Vector Shape tools. So i've edited the above steps to correct this oversight. It's explained more clearly now.

Thanks! [excited]

And as for the "right-click and choose Stroke" part... that was my bad, sorry. I forgot that the list of filters only appears AFTER you've already created/added at least one filter to the layer. This snafu has also been rectified in the above steps.

And lastly...
Yes, all shapes are created on just one layer. But because they're Vectors, they are all independant of each other, and completely editable. When using a Vector Shape Layer, PS uses Paths to create the shapes. That's why each shape is separate from the next, and independantly editable.

All clear? [honesty]

Thanks Mark :perfect:

theKeeper said:
Thanks, glad it And as for the "right-click and choose Stroke" part... that was my bad, sorry. I forgot that the list of filters only appears AFTER you've already created/added at least one filter to the layer.
The word filter is/was confusing Mark.
It's easier to understand for our members, if you mention that the stroke is added by using a layer style.

Just my 2 cents ;)

;) Thanks Mark. I do appreciate your taking the time to "clarify" these instructions so that I (and everyone else) can "get it" :D

Thanks Mark!

Its midnight here and i not gonna try it out right now :( but im sure you know what are you talking about. and i like the way you think...

can i post here another complains Mark? :D

Shay

Back