What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Shadows

E

eunika

Please help me with my school work. Iam making this picture and it looks ridiculous right now, without the shadows,
grapes should make on the face.
I really can´t move with it... there must be something ... Should I paint it pixel by pixel ? :/

vlasy.jpg the

MentosCubing

Power User
Do you still have the PSD? That would be far easier to work with.

Rich54

Guru
Depending on how realistic you want this to look, there are a few things to consider:
1. The grapes are too large relative to the woman and it's pretty obvious that the grapes were shot in close-up, probably with a wide-angle lens. So that's an immediate mis-match of the two images.
2. The bottom edge of the grapes is too sharp. If you zoom-in on a detail like her eyelashes, they are not as sharp as the grapes immediately nearby. In the image below I softened the edges of the grapes.
3. The woman is lit very evenly—the shadows on her left and right sides are nearly identical. But the grapes seem to be lit from the top-right. Try using a Levels or Curves adjustment (with masking) to make the lighting on the grapes more even.
4. For the shadow under the grapes, I assume that in your Photoshop file the grapes are in their own layer. If yes, create a new layer between the woman and the grapes. Select a soft brush, a medium gray color, and set the layer blend mode to Multiply. Brush-in some shadow on her forehead. Now create another new layer, change the color to black, reduce the brush size, and paint darker shadows immediately around the grapes, but not extending as far as your lighter shadows. Below is my 5-minute version of this.

grapes.jpg

E

eunika

Depending on how realistic you want this to look, there are a few things to consider:
1. The grapes are too large relative to the woman and it's pretty obvious that the grapes were shot in close-up, probably with a wide-angle lens. So that's an immediate mis-match of the two images.
2. The bottom edge of the grapes is too sharp. If you zoom-in on a detail like her eyelashes, they are not as sharp as the grapes immediately nearby. In the image below I softened the edges of the grapes.
3. The woman is lit very evenly—the shadows on her left and right sides are nearly identical. But the grapes seem to be lit from the top-right. Try using a Levels or Curves adjustment (with masking) to make the lighting on the grapes more even.
4. For the shadow under the grapes, I assume that in your Photoshop file the grapes are in their own layer. If yes, create a new layer between the woman and the grapes. Select a soft brush, a medium gray color, and set the layer blend mode to Multiply. Brush-in some shadow on her forehead. Now create another new layer, change the color to black, reduce the brush size, and paint darker shadows immediately around the grapes, but not extending as far as your lighter shadows. Below is my 5-minute version of this.

View attachment 98088
wooow thanks so much ! and also for the 5 min actually doing it !

Last edited by a moderator: