What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpen a license plate - help solve a crime, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjchronowski

Hello all Photoshop Gurus-

We are on vacation and had all of our vehicles broken into last night. No one here has access to photoshop, so we are hoping someone can help us ASAP. We have an image of a suspect vehicle and are trying to relay the license plate number to the state police. Can someone please help sharpen this image to a point where it is clearly readable? Thank you!

Joe

Attachments

• photo[1].JPG
    photo[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 29
MMM I am not sure about the legality of this especially as you are not 100 % sure it is the actual villain. I will have a look at it for you but if I am able to do it I will have to either send you a copy via email or pm as I am not to happy about putting it on public display

Ok on 2nd thoughts and zooming in on the plate is blurred so any characters you do get from it are always going to be in doubt

All though the picture looks sharp you have to much motion blur on the license plate I have tried inverting it adding gaussian blur and still no sharper

give me a break....this is to funny..........

What I don't get is this; if you're so eager to catch the bad guy, then why are you uploading such a small image, when all modern digital cameras shoot way bigger than this? Why resize it when some little common sense would tell you that it makes the plate less readable? And if someone breaks into my house at night, why would I take a picture of a random vehicle (any random vehicle) the next day during daylight, near the scene of the crime with the assumption it could be the bad guy? It just makes no sense to me.

Vacation photo?

What I don't get is this; if you're so eager to catch the bad guy, then why are you uploading such a small image, when all modern digital cameras shoot way bigger than this? Why resize it when some little common sense would tell you that it makes the plate less readable? And if someone breaks into my house at night, why would I take a picture of a random vehicle (any random vehicle) the next day during daylight, near the scene of the crime with the assumption it could be the bad guy? It just makes no sense to me.

Vacation photo?

Simple explanation here for all the doubts raised...pic taken w an iPhone 4. My friend took the pic and emailed it to me to upload, sorry for the size, I had no control over that. Second, the suspects were seen on survaillence camera at night, 2 males, and this vehicle passed our home in a small vacation town culdesac approx 10x within 2 hours, with 2 people matching the video descriptions from the night.

I didnt think I was asking too much, a simple yes/no would have helped. Thanks to those who did respond with good intentions.

I didnt think I was asking too much, a simple yes/no would have helped. Thanks to those who did respond with good intentions.
I've dealt with similar requests like yours many times and in most cases it turned out that people didn't tell the whole truth. What you fail to understand is that there are people out there who use this for the wrong reasons. I therefor see it as my responsibility to be very suspicious about such requests.

Regardless of that, people with the right intentions shouldn't use a public place to recover a license plate. If recovery would have been successful, then this person would have been labeled as a possible suspect. There is a reason why the police tries to keep that kind of information behind closed doors and I also say this as a former member of the military police.

I did notice now, that there is a larger copy available, but for some reason the larger image didn't show when I clicked on the image the first time. As for your request; it's impossible the recover any information from that license plate, not even a single digit or letter and most certainly not with 100% accuracy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back