What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Similar Skin

fmd

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could point in to a tutorial or could tell me how to get the skin looking clay-like without going overboard or even one where they look wax/porcelain-like but I can take what they did and tone it down. Ultimately, below is what I am going for with portraits but I would also like to go overboard at times for a different effect.
i'm sure you've seen plenty of times.

2016-03-26 20.18.26.png

Tom Mann

Guru
It probably was (partially) achieved using a technique called, "frequency separation". Just Google {frequency separation skin photoshop tutorial}.

Tom M

Reactions: fmd

fmd

It probably was (partially) achieved using a technique called, "frequency separation". Just Google {frequency separation skin photoshop tutorial}.

Tom M

Thanks I've practiced using frequency separation. I see you mentioned partially, so what are the other techniques/factors you think contributed to this look. Also, do you have any information on how to achieve the unrealistic looking skiin.

Tom Mann

Guru
A few of the factors that immediately came to my mind were:

a) Professional makeup;

b) Professional photographic lighting;

c) Starting with an image that is sufficiently sharp (i.e., a good lens and the knowledge of how to use it, eg, strobes to stop movement and provide an adequate amount of light so that you can use an appropriate aperture (say, f/8 - f/16) for good depth of field without diffraction blurring) so that the texture that you add looks appropriate to the base image;

d) Knowing how to "borrow" skin texture from another image to apply it to your own image (using the frequency separation method).

e) etc.

To be honest, at this point, it's better to work on one particular image rather than speak in abstract terms. For example, why don't you show some of your work with the frequency separation technique, and we can go from there.

HTH,

Tom M

fmd

A few of the factors that immediately came to my mind were:

a) Professional makeup;

b) Professional photographic lighting;

c) Starting with an image that is sufficiently sharp (i.e., a good lens and the knowledge of how to use it, eg, strobes to stop movement and provide an adequate amount of light so that you can use an appropriate aperture (say, f/8 - f/16) for good depth of field without diffraction blurring) so that the texture that you add looks appropriate to the base image;

d) Knowing how to "borrow" skin texture from another image to apply it to your own image (using the frequency separation method).

e) etc.

To be honest, at this point, it's better to work on one particular image rather than speak in abstract terms. For example, why don't you show some of your work with the frequency separation technique, and we can go from there.

HTH,

Tom M

Thanks Tom. I will post.