What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator Simple Paragraph Text Bend

halcorp

Hi all... Firstly, sorry to join and ask a question as a newbie straight off. But I'm behind schedule on a project and stuck on what I think should be a simple task, I've been unable to find any info on the net.

I want to slightly bend a paragraph of text, not a curve but a sharp cornered bend as if the paragraph was to go around a corner or something. I can draw a path with a bend in it, and then do one line of text with no problem, but I need a whole paragraph like that. I need the text to wrap, following the path I draw. At the moment once I get to the end of the path, any more text I write just disappears. I've also tried drawing shapes, but the text doesn't align the way I want it to.

Using CS4. Windows.

Is this possible or is there any other way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
A WHOLE PARAGRAPH?..... OK , this is something new I've never tried .... no reason to....

Since you can do a line of text, I suggest creating a series of paths like a squared target with rounded corners and type the paragraph on the path..... finish one line where you want and continue on the next inner path....

To make the path easier to make , use the rounded rectangle tool , set the curve radius to maybe 20.... or depends on your preference..

Hope this helps......

halcorp

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by 'sqaured target' and why and how I would use the rounded rectangle tool? Is this to produce a series of paths?

You've given me an idea for a work around though - as it is a small paragraph, I shall just do each line on an individual path, and line it up.

SeniorS

Guru
Actually better control with text on path gives Indesign and more suitable too (maded for that stuff). There you can make your lines and bind text to them. In that case you can change text afterwards easily. (Tested on CS5 but think should work on CS4 too).

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by 'sqaured target' and why and how I would use the rounded rectangle tool? Is this to produce a series of paths?

You've given me an idea for a work around though - as it is a small paragraph, I shall just do each line on an individual path, and line it up.

Yes , That's what I mean .... a series of paths that resemble a target but in rectangular shape with rounded corners.

Create the selection with the rounded rectangle tool and vonvert it to a path where you can apply/add your text on....

Do it separately... one path at a time, getting smaller and smaller.

Last edited:

SeniorS

Guru
Do it separately... one path at a time, getting smaller and smaller.

...or you can do that of course. And hope that client (i assume its ment for some custumer) don't decide that now he want different font, bigger letters and more spacing between them and of course different text :D