What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simulate glossy paper in photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dami1

Hello guys!

I'm looking for a little help on how to simulate a glossy effect on paper right in photoshop.

Have a look, at the attached file to see what I'm after.

Any idea on what would be the best way to achieve this sort of effet. So far nothing I tried looked even close to this. :confused:

Attachments

• bla.jpg
    bla.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Light-Reflection-style---H.jpg
    Light-Reflection-style---H.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22

chitkaran

Guru
Use Filters-> Glass effect... play with the opacities.. adjust the blend mode... and this should give you the effect..

Also, to top it up - add a bit of white on either side - Blurr it and reduce the opacity.. this would give a reflective kind of effect on the paper..

Hope this helps... !! Cheers !!

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
These are coloured shapes with texture and shading to simulate shiny areas.

See the attached .psd so you can see how I made the image below.

View attachment shiny.psd

shiny.jpg

Hope this helps mate, pretty simple to achieve but hopefully the .psd will help you see how these are made.

Dami1

Thank you both. The glass effect what was I after. It works very nicely!

Remote-Medic

Beast RARRR!
Thank you both. The glass effect what was I after. It works very nicely!

I had forgotten about that filter lol, so used to creating my own although it does work very well. At least you got the answer you needed mate.

I always go for a white to transparent gradient with guassian [ I will never spell that right :( ] blur if needed.

Dami1

Hello All!

Last night, I did as you advised on one of of the document i have to work on. Using the glass filter I somehow found a way to create the reflective/glossy effect. This morning I tried several times to do the same things on the other documents but cannot remember how to did it?

I merged the layer on the intial document so I cannot go back to check how I achieved it. For some reason last night when reading Chitkaran post, it all made sense. Today, the same post doesn't get me anywhere.

If I recall well, I did duplicate my layer and apply the glass filter to it. Then I did make a feathered selection of the part I wanted to be reflective and inverted it to finally apply a mask in order to hide the part of the image that does not need to look glossy. I'm left with the part that I want to be reflective, but it's in full color and I dont' seem to find a way to turn it into white. I tried to apply the mask to a white layer, etc... but always end up with the feathered edge instead of what can be seen on the sample in my original post.

I really feel dumb for coming back for help, particularly since I have been able to do it yesterday. Chitkaran, could you post a step by step instruction on how create the effect?

Dami1

Ok, I've got it this time. I went for lunch, came back, read the direction and got it working on the first time! :)

Sorry for all the troubles! Thanks again to you all, partcularly Chitkaran!

Status
Not open for further replies.