What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

simulate low light levels/purkinje effect?

jhunderhill

Hello all,
I am writing my dissertation in art history and need to show how a an ancient mural --full of blues and greens-- was meant to appear at sunset on the summer solstice, when it was perfectly aligned with the setting sun. I am arguing that the makers of this picture utilized the Purkinje effect (great info on wikipedia if you don't know what it is --as a newbie i cant post links). Any advice on the best way to do this? I have CS5.
New to photoshop, thanks in advance for any feedback.
Thanks so much.
Justin

I think I know the look you're looking for.
You can't post a link but you can post images.

Find an example of the Purkinje effect and post it here.
Post an image you want to try this on and we'll see what it takes.

Off the top of my head I would think desaturating the red and reducing the overall brightness of the image would be what you need.

The new vibrance adjustment might help. It's like saturation, but it excludes reds.

Red_geranium_photoic_mesopic_scotopic.jpg
It is the middle image, you can also see it by looking up "purkinje effect" on wikipedia and seeing the middle image of the geranium.
Thanks so much...

Back