What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smooth out edges of a text logo

Mikey Lloyd

Hello -

I am helping out a girl with a logo, and I found a text font she likes, but it needs to be smoothed around the edges. I have tried using gaussian blur and then adjusting the levels as I have seen in some tutorials, but the image comes out way to blurry. I have included the .psd file, can someone help me out with this? I know that I must be doing something wrong. View attachment Julia_Rae_Logo.psd

This might help some. Go to select>refine edge. I used these settings: smooth = 9; shift edge = -2.

Photoshop is pixel based so you will get edge pixelation. If you want to produce really crisp text at any size, Illustrator does that because it is vector based (pure line). But depending on the size and context of the text, Photoshop can look quite good for certain things.

This might help some. Go to select>refine edge. I used these settings: smooth = 9; shift edge = -2.

Photoshop is pixel based so you will get edge pixelation. If you want to produce really crisp text at any size, Illustrator does that because it is vector based (pure line). But depending on the size and context of the text, Photoshop can look quite good for certain things.

When I did that it didn't seem to get any smoother. That is weird.

Worked for me. You did use negative 2, right? Try playing with the settings. Zoom way in so you can see the edges blurring. Do you have Illustrator?

it is never going to look good I assume you painted it and did not use a font here is an alternative but look up handwriting fonts you can replace the heart on the i with a shape
View attachment julia.psd
julia.jpg

It is a font that I used, and I can't change it cause she wants to use it. I do not have illustrator only Adobe CS5.

If you only have those 2 words to do, use a vector mask and trace them with the pen tool. Lower the opacity of the layer to see the original text below while you are tracing.

good idea Hawkeye. thought about it but that it might be time consuming, but then a lot of this is. pen tool is great mikey, very crisp.

Back