What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solid layer like an Adjustment Layer

vfxcsar

Hi all,

Learning Photoshop, and need to find a solution for an issue. First of all, I have learned to use a solid color, or a layer with different color variations to affect the layers under it. Sometimes I will multiply this layer, or screen, etc as well as tweak it's opacity and get gorgeous moody results. What I'm looking for is a way to do this to all the layers in a group and nothing more. Unfortunately, I can't just add this layer in the top of a group like and adjustment layer, and just set the group's blending to normal, and expect it to affect only layers in that group. My layer unfortunately affects all layers all the way to the bottom. Is there a way to have my Solid Color or any other non-adjustment layer act like an adjustment layer and just blend/affect the layers in that group? I know I can use a mask on my Solid Color layer, but hoping for a more streamlined solution.

Thanks for reading. Using CS5.

Cheers,
Paul

Hoogle

Guru
right click it and select create clipping mask that will make it only effect the layer below it If you want it to effect all layers in a group the only Way I know without looking into it is to select all the layers in the group press control +ALT + E that will merge the layers in the group drag that out and above of the group and below your adjustment layer then right click the adjustment layer and select create clipping mask

vfxcsar

Hoogleman:
Thanks for your input. I do indeed have more than one layer in the group that I want my top group layer to affect, so you're second solution is the better one, but I need to keep my work layers live for tweaking, and merging them kind of locks that.

Vafann:
Kind of the same issue. Converting my layers into a smart object kind of commits me to their current state. I know I can still tweak them but it's in a round about way. Thanks for the link though.

I was hoping there was some kind of check-box somewhere that I didn't know about that would make my top group layer act as a adjustment layer, and not affect anything outside of the group. Maybe CS6 huh?

Thanks,
Paul

Hoogle

Guru
No Vafaan is right make a group convert to smart oblect then if you ever need to edit anything in that smart object just double click the preview icon in the group it will open it up in a new tab\window as a group with all the layers in it to edit as you please then go to file> save and that will update your edits in your original design

vfxcsar

Both of you have working solutions. I've developed a work flow that has worked for me for a while, but fell short yesterday. The problem with Vafaan's solution in my workflow is that when I edit the smart object in its own tab, I can no longer see how the layers above it are affecting it which is very important. I have to guess how it's going to look, then try to hit the mark, and save. When I see my original image update, if I didn't hit the mark, I have to do it all over again.

I'm guessing I have a weird workflow in general. I might just need to adopt a more mainstream way of doing things.

Hoogle

Guru
why not merge the layers above it into 1 layer then drag it into your document and whilst your at it merge the layers below it

vfxcsar

Top Layer - Moody color. Right now its blending mode is overlay. (I just want this to affect Middle)
Middle - A Group containing 3 layers of clouds, and they are all grey scale.
Bottom Layer- Ground and pristine cloudless sky with correct color and looks exactly the way I want it (no changing there).

I want the top layer to only affect the middle layer which is a group of layers. There is something I like about working in grey-scale for a while, with an overlay layer to add color on top. It's quicker and all I have to do is pick a grey value to paint with, and the color is taken care for me. The problem is, the top overlay layer affects the bottom layer which is already finished.

If I read you're post right, you are saying take the middle group, make it a smart object, open that smart object in anther tab, drag the top overlay layer in that, and do my changes there and send it back (correct me if I'm wrong). For my situation, that's the same as not making a smart object at all, and just hiding the bottom layer.

I'm probably doing it this way because after doing film composting on and off for a couple of years, I guess that's how I want to work in Photoshop. I noticed in a lot of Photoshop painting video tutorials, people tend to collapse their layers quite frequently which keeps the scene simple and less technical.

Hoogle

Guru
yes but I thought the whole aim was to create a layer that just effected the Group well I am out of all ideas without seeing the psd.

Vafann

Guru
Top Layer - Moody color. Right now its blending mode is overlay. (I just want this to affect Middle)
Middle - A Group containing 3 layers of clouds, and they are all grey scale.
Bottom Layer- Ground and pristine cloudless sky with correct color and looks exactly the way I want it (no changing there).

I want the top layer to only affect the middle layer which is a group of layers. There is something I like about working in grey-scale for a while, with an overlay layer to add color on top. It's quicker and all I have to do is pick a grey value to paint with, and the color is taken care for me. The problem is, the top overlay layer affects the bottom layer which is already finished.

If I read you're post right, you are saying take the middle group, make it a smart object, open that smart object in anther tab, drag the top overlay layer in that, and do my changes there and send it back (correct me if I'm wrong). For my situation, that's the same as not making a smart object at all, and just hiding the bottom layer.

I'm probably doing it this way because after doing film composting on and off for a couple of years, I guess that's how I want to work in Photoshop. I noticed in a lot of Photoshop painting video tutorials, people tend to collapse their layers quite frequently which keeps the scene simple and less technical.

" that's the same as not making a smart object at all, and just hiding the bottom layer."

Why don´t you do this then? why not just hide the bottom layer until you have made all the changes and things you want done with the clouds, then merge them, and then ad them to the bottom layer as you want? maybe I am still misunderstanding what it is you are wanting to do. :)