What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something more extended

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I started with a picture of my home in an attempt to make a apocaliptic view of it.
Man, did I underestimated the amount of work! It took me 70 layers or so and at a point I was ready to give up and delete the whole project.
I'm not satisfied with the result and I will continue to work on it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Yes indeed, now I see it. Like I said before, I'm not satistfied with the result and awaiting observations to improve the design.
Thank you.

I don't want to make it to dark causing loss of detail.
I changed the sky, highlighted the left side of the treestems (light is coming from the left side) and for the same reason darkened the left inside of the front windows and highlighted the right inside of the same windows

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Don't give up. Great work even without the suggestions though I do like your second image as well, better now that you brighten the sky. Maybe not as apocalyptic, but more realistic. Believe it or not, on a complex manipulation, though 70 layers is huge, it is not totally without precedent. I have made some with more than that. I have given up and trashed some with almost that many layers. Sigh. Always learn something from the experience. But your image is well worth the work and the layers. I just hope you have grouped - with sub groups - a bunch of those layers. I could never keep them all straight - even with naming each layer - if there wasn't an option to group. Praise the PS gods, lol.

Another thought: to take a mundane building and give it this much character shows a lot of imagination and creativity. Two thumbs up.

This is a huge job you've done here Eggy! And it looks very good in some areas. That you are not satisfied so far, is because the whole mood in your image should be much more sinister, a lot darker. It still looks too sunny and clean for an apocalyptic scene. Perhaps add a little grain to the whole picture that it looks more grungy. Maybe some fog or smoke.

I'm sure there are tutorials for creating the really gloomy mood you are looking for.

But still much work has to be done. Do not give up yet, because I would love to see an update of this job.

Thanks for the tip! This looks really good.
The advices and suggestions are the main reason I'm here.
I make a picture, look at it and mostly it's missing a 'spice' to make it complete.
I will be back with an update!

Let's not waste time, here's one possible adaptation.
Let me hear you opinion please.
Is the composition right?

Attachments

• vervallen huis (2).jpg
    vervallen huis (2).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3
The composition is great, I don't like the color spread over the whole image. Maybe if you masked the color layer and painted out a portion of things with different opacities, it would improve the overall impression.

I would mask the tinted layer and paint out some of the areas (maybe at differing opacity) that might deserve more of the original color of your last image (I mean a merge copy of the completed image before the tint layer).

One thing I like to use sometimes is the opposite of what I suggested. Make a copy of th original copy-merged image, paint out the areas you want to stay tinted, change opacity and/or blend mode, and see what you get. This doesn't take much time, and can produce some interesting effects.

I still like the brighter image better, but you could apply a levels layer and use the mask to bring out details that you need brighter and for more shadow light fill.

Here's an idea I worked on which diminishes some of the color tint and adds a levels adjustment, masking out some areas in both layer masks/adjustment mask.

Untitled-1.jpg

Side by side. Sorry, my orange tint is way off of yours. And I like your more brownish grey one better.

composite.jpg

Last edited:
This is starting to look good and like what you have done...

Some suggestions only from a personal point...

replace the sky... looks too summer type of sky.

With cracks that big in the building the brickwork would be affected around the areas of the cracks and have have holes in the walls.

The 2 x cracks on the windows look stook on from the same image... I would completely break them.

you need to add some more foliage.. the car looks as though it came out from a jungle but the rest is from your house.. try and make all the foliage look as though it is all from the same scene.

The doors on the building are to much in tact. i would at least take one off its hinges at an angle, make it look worn and torn ..

The palm tree i think would look better in half or broken...

And in general some more debris of some sorts down the path/driveway etc.... but do not clutter the scene.

Then a colour balance and some colour correction overall...

But good job and keep going.

You're getting there. I needs a bit more detail and additions... like...

Make the plants and foliage grow wild. Whatever you want living let it grow loose. The hedge in front looks like it's been trimmed recently. Add dead trees, broken tree trunks, dry leaves....

Add rubble and decay to the scene. The apartment walls can have chipped bricks, holes, missing corners, less color more grime

I agree with the others about the clouds. Make it gloomy, polluted ....

Add totally broken glass not just cracked look.

If you want to add birds it's OK but I prefer a crow....

Too add to the gloomy feel , add a black tone and darker shadows were appropriate......

Well, thank you all for the observations and suggestions.
Based on what I hear this project can go a lot of ways.
It would be boring if eveybody has the same opinion.
Now I am gonna put this project beside and let my little grey cells rest a while before going on with it.
4 days working on the same project is the max I can handle.

In between I did a half hour project that makes me smile.

Is this an efficient PD or not?
Transportation, defence and sniffing illegal substances in one.
Just for the fun...

Attachments

• Ruiter te hond.jpg
    Ruiter te hond.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I love it. Big dogs gets to be bigger yet. Probably about sums up the real activity this dog is meant for, lol. Thanks for the laugh. I love short, fun projects, especially when you are giving your brain a rest; it works. 4 days is a lot of time alright. You may or may not ever go back to the last image and it's 70+ layers, but it may be played out by now. You always know, I hope, when it's time to move on and take that experience, new knowledge and skill, along to the next project.

My eyes must be tired.... lol . At first glance I thought I saw a Palomino, until I got to the part of... "Transportation, defence and sniffing illegal substances in one". That gave me a double take.... LOL

Hilarious , fun project you created there......

Back