What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports uniform swap

RickyClicky

Hi, so I have been asked to do a job that is stumping me for a solution that will not take dozens of hours or look fake and crap. I have been given an action shot of a soccer player wearing a uniform of jersey, shorts and socks. I am being asked to use a flat supplied vector uniform to replace the existing one. However, the folds in the image, shadow, highlight and shape need to be matched.

I'm stumped as to how to do this without cloning out all the badging, adjusting the colour and somehow using the same perspective of the image to match the details of the new vector jersey. I tried puppet warping but that looked like crap and still doesn't fix the fold/shadow/highlight need. Part of me thinks this can't be accomplished in Photoshop but I accept that I may be wrong.
Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 2.14.09 PM.png

My opinion is that it can't be done. The action image has twisting (shoulders going one way, hips going the other way), foreshortening in one arm and one leg, plus all the shadows and creases that make it three-dimensional and give it bulk. The vector uniform is flat—almost cartoonish—and the perspective is straight-on. The whole thing is a complete mismatch.

Thanks, Rich. I agree. I don't think what they're asking is going to produce realistic results and they probably don't want to pay for 10 hours of work on a single image

Back