What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting to learn to draw from lvl0 XD

Argos

Guru
A week ago i start to try to learn to draw, i didn't draw nothing since i was child, nothing special, like the most kids draw XD.

For my first draw i try to make a realistic eye... looking at tutorials and learning to use the program, i saw a few and decided for krita, it took the all week to make this eye hahah

EYE.jpg

Now i start making the nose, the idea is to make a whole face by the end of 2018 XDD

Picture2.jpg

Any tips, advice or comments are appreciated XD.

Cheers!

I like it and the drawing initiative...but you have it or you don't, and I'm in the don't category...

i think the problem is the time (years) and patience needed to be decent, ironically ..thats why i did't start before XDD.

Last edited:
Very nice work! Although you just started, I think there was some underlying talent there because you've done a great job.

I looked a Krita, but decided to stick with Photoshop, it works best for me. I think Krita may have a better brush engine with more adjustability.

As far as tips, I suggest working in layers............i.e., place the eyelashes on a new layer. Work with masking (not layer masks), this way you can keep things round like the Iris and Pupil.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.35.41 AM.png

A slight blur at the base of the lower eyelashes will help blend so they don't look "painted" on with a hard edge at the base. You can also adjust your brush so you have softer ends at the beginning of the stroke.
Before
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.12.49 AM.png

After:
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 9.13.17 AM.png

Thanks alot IamSam, i think the years of photoshop help in things like light and shadow work for example XD.

I worked on layers.. the problem was being the first time using the new program i ended up in a caos of more of 30 layers XDD, the nose is much more clean with 5 layers.

Can you explain further this phrase "Work with masking (not layer masks)" i dont know if understand completly.

I was very tempted to use some photoshop tools while doing it XD, but for my first draw i want to do it 100% drawning it.

Thanks again for all the tips and comments !

Can you explain further this phrase "Work with masking (not layer masks)" i dont know if understand completly.

Mask was an old "airbrushing" term. In Photoshop we call it a selection.

If you make a feathered selection.....
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 6.52.48 PM.png

Paint within that selection......
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 6.55.19 PM.png

You have a nice feathered and round painting.
Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 6.55.27 PM.png

I explain it here: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-painting-in-photoshop.63247/#post-1533763325

And here: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...-painting-in-photoshop.63247/#post-1533763352

Back