What's new

Suggestions for solid color background

kiltro

Hello,
I've removed background from a pic while keeping shadows.
I've then added a new solid colour background, but it still look a bit fake.

Senza titolo-1.jpg

I dont know if I'll use this exact colour but it will be a light one.
It still look a bit like a collage to me
Can you give me some suggestions to make it look better?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

You did a great job isolating the subject.

Let's look at what I think gives you the impression that it looks fake.....

Bottom...
Looks real!
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 11.47.23 AM.png

Top....
Not very real as there is nothing in the BG offering depth.
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 11.46.59 AM.png

Sometimes a simple gradient in the upper half of the BG can help.
Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 12.25.29 PM.png

Babine

Guru
Selected the objects to a new layer, applied curves adjustments to the BG to lighten and shift the light source to photo left somewhat, merged down then sharpened the objects in darken mode. Maybe a pattern or overlay of some sort in a minimal opacity applied to the BG would make for a better separation?

Senza-titolo-1.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @kiltro
When I examined the image, the saturation component of the main subject and background were very much the same. That's one way that there is competition between the two.
So I focused on making the background less saturated (wtih same Hue) and then using a stronger graduent (same Hue again) with a clearly delineated line for the eye to catch the boundary between the base and the background.

I also noted that you did not have an embedded color profile so I assinged ito the sRGB color profile. That insures better consistent colors across viewing browsers.

I liked it yet that may not be the way you want to go. Just one more idea to consider along with other great ideas already shared.
John Wheeler

Change-Background-final.jpg

JeffK

Guru
My batting average hasn't been great here lately - but John did something that others hadn't which was to create a "back" to the image providing a delineation that gave a sense of where the objects were in space:

1655918135071.png

I looked at other still lifes, and even with a black background, there was a change in tone front-to-backunless the objects were sitting flat on a surface. If, in this image, they were sitting flat on the surface, I think the shadowing would cast differently. Here the objects seem more propped up the camera.

Staying with the same color, and also adding a bit of black-to-transparent gradient, here's what I tried:

still life.jpg

Just a thought...