What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarja Turunen drawing (critique needed)

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
Hello there again people :D
recently i got down and did a mouse and screen drawing of Tarja Turunen from nightwish. image below.

mess about2.jpg
she needs hair (i don't know a good way of facing that bit, all the hair i draw is messy)
brushes were used for her skin and the background, everything else was hand drawn.
but could someone kindly give comments and whatnot?
bt it looks like i missed her right eyebrow but i haven't, i smudged it a little too much, I'll fix that.

Last edited:
maybe do a search for hair brushes on google you can get a lot of different textures etc

thanks, i already installed one but it wasn't to my liking, I'll find some more :D

Hi Zee, I downloaded some brushes and played around with this. It took probably too much time to do, but then I have never done hair before so it was worth the time and I had fun. Here's what I came up with.

Attachments

• HairPlay.JPG
    HairPlay.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
thanks and it's a great job! sorry i was away with RL problems so i haven been able to reply to threads :p

No problem, I figured something like that. I hope all is well now.

You can see from my submission that I have trouble making bold statements sometimes. In other words, I am sure the highlights could be much brighter along the lines of your example, though obviously mine tries to be "realistic." I will have to get more courage to fail! Besides wich, that's what layers are for, right? :mrgreen:

Well, I'll send you the link for the hair brushes that I found (not the ones I found that looked like snapshots of hair on the floor at a salon!). I just used two of them and played around with transforming, opacity, and color. I did do a solid layer of color for the hair underneath the brushes, like you made up above. It took me awhile, but like I said, it was my first time and it was great practice.

Well, I googled the brushes again and oddly enough can't find those particular ones. But there are so many you won't have any problem finding some that you like.

Last edited:
okies, i shall google for some brushes and report back when i can get to photoshop on the other PC :thumbsup:

tarja_windswept.jpg
found some brushes and messed about for an hour or so before finally settling on a windswept look to her i think it went okay for a first shot at the hair brushes

Oh yeah, that is very very nice. I'm glad you were able to keep the painterly effect with the drawn-brush lines and your highlights. I see you took away the black turtleneck.

I'm envious :mrgreen:

but admiring :p

thanks, yeah the turtleneck sort of disappeared :/ must have been on one of the layers i removed :p looks better without it me thinks :D
thank you for all your help :D

:Dyeah it didn't look right to me she looks allot bolder without it, as the turtleneck blended in with the background :p as for my avatar, i need put up the fixed version and get my signature up :p

Last edited:

Back