What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TECHNIQUES: Circly Circles

Jeremy W.

Aright, this is one I should have done a while ago since it's so simple, and produces some cool effects.

This tutorial we'll be working with the Distort > Polar Coordinates filter. That is essentially all it is doing, however there are some things to realise. All photoshop filters are based upon math (formulas, algorithms) and the Polar Coordinates one is one of the ones which is most susceptible to Placement.

Placement is really only a factor with filters which take the canvas, and the objects therein into effect. Polar Coordinates is one of these. You can do the filter once, undo it, move your element and do it again and the result will be completely different. Millimeters make a difference!

I'm not saying this to stress you out, but to tell you to PLAY with this little tool, have fun. I used to do abstract pieces of art based solely on 1 shape with a Polar Coordinates. People would always see something different in them. It's not a tool you'd use for photo manipulation (though it can be funny do have fun with your boss's face), but it can be useful.

Aright, here we go, our target is something like the background here: http://server2.tacf.org/examples/borg.jpg (large file)

1. Make a new image
2. Make lines like this: http://server2.tacf.org/examples/lines.jpg
3. Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates > Rectangular to Polar

Now, you'll want to try rotating the lines, moving them around, changing the number/thickness/spacing of them, etc. Essentially have fun!

Hey Jeremy... would you mind if i (or you) posted a smaller version of that example picture here, for the 56k'ers to see? It's just that 357kb may be a tad large for them. :)

The details of the effect can still be seen at 600 pixels wide. If you shrink it down with PS, just sharpen it a bit before saving it.

Hey Jeremy... I had some fun playing with the polar coordinates filter to create those "circly circles" :D

Thanks for sharing!

Mark,

I'm actually on the run today looking for a new LCD monitor (my CRT @ home died, time for a new toy), so I won't have any time today or tomorrow to do a resize. Feel free though (and feel free to edit my post with the new URL).

J

Ok cool, thanks Jeremy.

Here's the image Jeremy is talking about in his initial post everyone. If you'd like to see the full-sized copy, use Jeremy's link above.

Good luck with the monitor JW!

Back