What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temp file space

Rekusu

What ho one and all,

Running CS3 on XP with the max ram that XP will allow (3gb!) (I know, why don't you upgrade?)

I have a Temp file partition of 5gb on the first hdd for what it says on the box. And I have a Photoshop scratch disk as the first partition on the second hdd with 12gb.

Today, i was working on some quite large files (200mb) and frequently received a message that the Temp partition was either running out of space or full. When I checked with Explorer, yes, the Temp was full but the Scratch disk was not in use; it was empty.

I thought the scratch disk was for PhotoShop temporary use, but all temp PS files where filling the Temp partition. As I have the scratch disk set in Preferences how do I make PS actually use it?

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What if anything happened when you deleted the temp files?

Rekusu

Not sure I understand your point? As far as I am aware temp files are temp files and can by their name, be deleted.

But my question is regards why, when I have the PS Scratch Disk set to partition J, with plenty of space, is PS using a different partition (Temp) which is not only considerably smaller, but also not indicated in my Preferences?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure I understand your point?

Let me explain..............the title of your thread is, "Temp file space". You mention that your receiving a warning/error message that the Temp partition was either running out of space or full. My question was simple, what happened when or if you deleted the temp files?

Did the error message stop? It's a process of elimination.

MrToM

Guru
To be honest I cannot remember how PS runs on XP, its been a while so I can only reference what happens on a Win7 machine.

As far as I do remember though, there is no way, nor has there ever been, any way to segregate any 'temp' files generated by PS into its own 'Temp' folder...it shares the users 'Temp' folder along with every other 'temp' file generated.

The fact you have created a [5GB] partition specifically for 'temp' files and that this is being filled with files solely generated BY Photoshop difficult to believe. Third party extensions can generate many files but I've never known it possible to specify which 'temp' folder, let alone a partition, to use....not via the PS preferences anyway.

As far as scratch disks go, this is used as and when it is needed by PS.
Like any other program, PS only uses the [RAM] memory it needs, up to the maximum allocation you set in the preferences.
If PS needs to use more, (which it more often than not does), than your allocation then it uses the scratch disk as 'temporary' RAM memory.

When PS starts a 'file' is created on the scratch disk to be used as temporary RAM memory.
It is created regardless so that it's immediately accessible the moment its needed...but that is not to say it is always needed, just if.

When PS closes this temporary 'file' is deleted, regardless of whether it was used or not.

The on-going problem with PS is that, amongst other things, it is useless at memory management and therefore may artificially use more RAM than it should, and as a consequence start to use the scratch disk more often than it should.

This is totally independent of any 'temp' files generated, it is one single file created on the scratch disk at PS launch and deleted on PS close.

So to sum up, PS does not use any 'temp' folder exclusively but does use the Windows 'Temp' folder along with every other program.
(Unless there is a hidden preference somewhere in CS3 which I've missed).

The scratch disk is ONLY used once the allocated RAM memory is exhausted, and is used as 'RAM' memory, as a single 'file'.

You are limiting yourself by using the vulnerable XP, (I assume 32bit with the 3GB switch), and also a very old, (10 years), version of PS.

I have no idea why your system is creating so many 'temp' files, but I've never known PS alone to do so....maybe its a quirk of XP.

Regards.
MrToM.

Rekusu

"Did the error message stop? It's a process of elimination."

Sorry, kinda misread your post. No, the error did not stop because PS filled the Temp partition again. My Temp partition was set up to reduce the amount of c**p that Windoze write to the OS. So I try to have anything temp, sent there. It is only 5gb, which is more than enough for internet temp files. There are two folders within the partition, Temp and Internet Temp Files. When I checked, the Temp folder had a lot of small PS created files and one large one of around 4gb.

Deleting was fine but within a few minutes, I had the same message and the large PS file had been recreated. On the other hand, the Scratch Disk partition (12bg, first partition on the second hdd) was empty!

I have the PS preferences pointing to J (Scratch Disk) but nothing is there. It's not a big deal, just bloody annoying.

Rekusu

MrTom

thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. May be the issue was caused by me stiching four, 70 mb images together to make a panorama. Seem to remember the file size was around 240mb and then some adjustment layers, etc. Probably pushing my system more than it liked.