What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text Effect

Bubble

Power User
I can't believe I am having trouble with this... must be missing something simple. If ony I still had Corel :{

I want to get my text to warp to this shape, but being used to envelopes, I'm not sure how to do it in PS. I've looked at the warp text effects, but they don't conform to the shape I want, and I can't seem to edit any of those.

Anyone have any ideas?

If rastor is okay with you, I can show you how to use Displace.
Rastor okay?

edit:
If you make the D-Map in The Bulge and rotate it 90 degrees, it will do what you are asking.
If you want to take it a step farther, I'll show you how to build a tweak friendly D-Map. Just simple variation is all.

Bubble I'm not shure, but I think you can do that in Illustrator.....

But ultimate, you can do it in Microsoft Word, with the Word Art, and take a picture of the screen, open in PS, and do it there.... I mean Word Art have a tool that warp the text EXACTLY as the shape you want.

Maybe it works.... :perfect:

Not really. Warp Type filters do have one for that basic shape, but it's not that excentuated.
My only real suggestion is that you type each letter separately and scale them to fir that shape the way ya want. :B

If you're going to download anything though... do the XaraX demo. It's a great Vector app and has a "mould" tool for this kind of thing. Very inexpensive, extremely easy to learn/use, small file size, and very fast. I don't do any vector work without it. :perfect:

Thanks for the responses guys... Stroker that would be great... don't know much about D maps, and I've always admired your stuff, so I may as well start somewhere ;)

Mark... I was afraid I'd have to do each letter :( Sure makes me miss Corel!!! I have to have this sorta done, for a proof, by this evening (about 4 hours away), so I probably won't be using any other proggy at the moment (unless they decide I can have as long as I want to get this done [stuned] yeah right)

Vega, I had thought of word, but didn't want to lose any quality... If I get desperate, but hopefully I will figure this out :D

Gotta start somewhere, eh? Well, if you are a Displace rookie, I'm a bit apprehensive 'bout posting how to make the D-Map. Following directions is one thing. Understanding what's going on so you can do it again with out instructions, or reworking it for similiar application, is another. Know what I mean?

Even though I'm late, vector is better, and I'm apprehensive, here goes anyways.

Start a new document. Minimum of 256x256.
Lay down a bunch of guides so you can drag from side-to-side and top-to-bottom with authority.
Grab the Gradient tool and make sure that Smoothiness is 0%. If Smoothiness is not 0%, then you will get Funkiness. Remember: Smoothiness and Funkiness are directly proportionate.
Default colours: black and white by slapping the 'd' key.
Linear Gradient.
Drag it so white is across the top and black is across the bottom.
New layer.
Reflected Gradient.
Drag it from the center to one of the sides so that white is down the middle and black is on the left and right sides. You might have to flip the 'd'efault colours, but I can't say for sure.
Set the mode of this layer to Exclusion.
Add a Curves Adjustment Layer.
While the Curves Ad-Layer dialoge is open, bring the lower-left point up to 128. Add another point and drag up so you have a semi-circular/oval kind of looking curve.
Slap the 'Okay' button to get out of the dialoge. I call this Ad-Layer 'Tweak'.
Clip the Curves Ad-Layer to the Exclusion layer.
Save as a PSD to be used as a D-Map.
Get busy with Displace using Horizontal: 0%, Vertical: whatever positive%, and Stretch to Fit.

Don't like the resulting curve you get when you Displace? Go back to the D-Map and tweak the 'Tweak' Ad-Layer. Or try different Vertical: whatever positive% to bring the curve in more or less. Hmm... more or less... something like that. I'm sure you know the drill.

:whew:

Stroker, thank you so much. I have just read through it and it seems to make perfect sense to me, but it 's late here at the moment, so I will give it a go tomorrow at work. I'll let you know how it goes :perfect:

Oh, I love your curves picture too, had me in tears. Fantastic :rofl:

Back