What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texture Application

endiggo

Once you set your type and select it, there is a way to apply a psd file that contains a texture (or whatever) to it, but I have forgotten the command that actually makes that happen. Can anyone help? Thanks

namvet

Power User
... do you mean this? ... if so go to filter then texture then click on texturiser (refer left hand image below) ... then in the new window click on down arrow in texture box (just above scaling) ... and then click on load texture (refer right hand image in pic below) ... the window you want to load a psd file will appear

endiggo

Thanks for going through all the trouble

No - sorry - but that isn't the solution. I actually took a tutorial on this and lost the website that contained it. You click on "whatever" and it allows you to navigate to where you have your psd. You then click on the psd and it automatically applies the contents to the selected ENDIGGO.

endiggo

I tried your technique and its great, and it tells me I didn't explain myself very well. I guess texture is not the correct term, as when you apply this psd it removes the area of type that the psd aplies to the object. Is that clearer or just more confusing? Thanks for the texture application tip though - Looks great!

kiwi

Guru
You can also use the "type mask tool"

Stu.

S

Stroker1

Filter > Distort > Displace
Filter > Distort > Glass

Other than Texturizer as already pointed out, those are the only filters I can think of.

AppleCider

Power User
endiggo, do you mean pattern instead of texture?

If so, there are a few ways to do this. Open up or create your pattern. Edit > define pattern. The new pattern will appear in the current pattern preset (you can later save it in a new custom preset through the Preset Manager).

EITHER: Double-click on your text layer, which will open up the layer styles dialog. click on "Pattern Overlay" and choose your pattern.

OR: Either rasterize your type layer (Cntrl (Mac) or right-click (PC) on the layer and choose Rasterize) or make a selection of the type and create a new layer. Edit > Fill, Fill with Pattern, choose your pattern.

If you want to apply a non-patterned file to the type, for example a photo, select the type layer, then drag and drop the psd file into the file with the type. You should see a new layer above the type with your photo or whatever completely covering the type. Opt/Cntrl-click on the line between the type layer and the new layer; that groups them. The type will cut out the rest of the photo, and you can move the photo layer around until you see what you like.

Hope this helps...hope I understood what you want :)

Alistair

Guru
I have a question stroker, how come the glass filter doesn't look like glass but rain hitting distilled tap water or somethin?

G

Alistair said:
how come the glass filter doesn't look like glass but rain hitting distilled tap water or somethin?
Question Alistair...how many filters really do what they promise? [confused]

endiggo

Thanks everyone - I have what I need. And that tip on Photo to Type was great. Thanks again.