What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best way to cut out an image like next shape..

Windows7

Power User
Hi folks here i am back again! :)

I've again a annoying problem and that is:i made a rounded rectangle with the pen tool with nice round corner(more rounded then the basic rounded rectangle).

Like this one:

Grijze ronde hoeken.png

And i want to cut out this shape out a flag and that is:

ELLHNIKHSHMAIA006-600x423.png

I hope you guys understand what i mean.In a short way:i want a rounded corners flag like my grey shape.

What is the best way to do it?

iDad

Guru
Thats what I read .......looks good Steve!

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I thought you needed a finished image..... A simple layer clipping group.... flag layer atop shape layer... ALT+click solid line in between the layers in layer pallete. Add non destructive inner shadow to shape layer.....

SeniorS

Guru
1. open both images.
2. select flag image (becouse its smaller) and copy to shape image.
3. select layer 0 (shape) and press CTRL+T (edit/free transform) - make shape same size and location as flag.
4. CTRL+click on shape's layer (it will make shape selection).
5. delete shape's layer.
6. SHIFT+CTRL+I (select/inverse)
7. CTRL+X
8. double click on only one layer left. brings up layer style window.
9. Check Inner Shadow and Bevel and Emboss.
10. play with those's two settings.
11. maybe flatten image to save jpg or something (layer/flatten image).

my recommendation - innershadow distance=0, size=4; bevel size=3, soften=6 (up to you)

Windows7

Power User
1. open both images.
2. select flag image (becouse its smaller) and copy to shape image.
3. select layer 0 (shape) and press CTRL+T (edit/free transform) - make shape same size and location as flag.
4. CTRL+click on shape's layer (it will make shape selection).
5. delete shape's layer.
6. SHIFT+CTRL+I (select/inverse)
7. CTRL+X
8. double click on only one layer left. brings up layer style window.
9. Check Inner Shadow and Bevel and Emboss.
10. play with those's two settings.
11. maybe flatten image to save jpg or something (layer/flatten image).

my recommendation - innershadow distance=0, size=4; bevel size=3, soften=6 (up to you)

This will also work......

Hey guys,first of all both thanks and to "dv8fx".. ahahh no man i didn't want the finished image.. i wanted to see how you did it but ok.

Here is what i tried:i copied the flag to the shape.. then with free transform i made the flag the shapes size and then.. i changed turned the layer style of the shape to "overlay" and then i got the flag like the shape but.. there is just only one problem and that is.. i still got the right corner of the flag that is underneath the shape and i can't get them away!!!!

Here's an image:

Greece Flag.jpg

Btw:if i know delete the flag layer then everything is gone!

This was the easiest way for me to get the nice round corners.. except the few little things that couldn't arrange..

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
CTRL+click shape layer, select flag layer, invert selection (CTRL+SHIFT+I) , delete corners......

Hide shape layer... your flag is in its original colors.

SeniorS

Guru
Don't change any layer option there isn't need for it.
Second, bring layer 1 (flag) ABOVE layer 0 (shape) then you will be able to create Clipping Mask (Alt+CTRL+G) and in that method you don't remove any layer just merg it when done.

Windows7

Power User
CTRL+click shape layer, select flag layer, invert selection (CTRL+SHIFT+I) , delete corners......

Hide shape layer... your flag is in its original colors.

It's weird man but really... that invert selection doesn't do anything for me.. i tried but there happens NOTHING!Still i selected like you said?How is this possible?

Don't change any layer option there isn't need for it.
Second, bring layer 1 (flag) ABOVE layer 0 (shape) then you will be able to create Clipping Mask (Alt+CTRL+G) and in that method you don't remove any layer just merg it when done.

YOU'RE THE MAN YO!!!!YOU'RE THE MAAAAAN!!!!

AHAHAHAHHA!!!!

THANK YOU MAN!!!!(DV8_FX THANKS TOO THOUGH)BUT WHAT YOU SAID WORKED PERFECT!!!!BUT YOU GAVE THE SHORTCUT OF CLIPPING MASK BUT WITHOUT THE SHORTCUT WHERE CAN I FIND THAT MAN?BECAUSE I DON'T USE ALWAYS SHORTCUTS!

BUT HERE IS THE RESULT:

Greece Flag.jpg

SeniorS

Guru
Congratulation! Looks good.

Look in menu under Layer or in layer pallete menu it's there too.

Windows7

Power User
Congratulation! Looks good.

Look in menu under Layer or in layer pallete menu it's there too.

Thank you both man,really!

I learned again something new with PS!

You know man.. i got addictive to PS in a meanwhile.. regularly i see somewhere an image and immediately i HAVE TO COPY IT SO PERFECT AS IT CAN.. not that i really need it or something but just the challenge in my mind that 'can i make it or not?'.. that is my problem!

hawkeye

Guru
FYI: You don't need the layer style on the lower layer, just the top layer.

SeniorS

Guru
Sorry hawkeye but i don't think you right. With top layer style right side stays little bit lighter. Actually top layer style can be remove harmless. Don't know why but i couldn't.