What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The optimum Photoshop settings, scratch discs etc any ideas?

qxe900

okey dokey,

So ive been working on some large printwork files myself, and its really only now that ive considered that there probably a set or 'rules of thumb' for scracth disc settings, ram settings, when or when not to 'purge' things, if there are any little hiddne things i can do to make sure my Mac (currently running 9.2 - i appreciate that OSX will handle the ram allocation - but im running 512mb for the mo on a G4 500 DP)run smoothly and optimum for general heavy weigth PS....any suggestions, normally i just whack the ram allocation and hope for the best.....<how nieve!>

I run the same set-up except I have 1gig of ram. Normally I associate 50% of ram to Photoshop. Photoshop likes to have a separate scratch disc with free contiguous space. I have a partition (8 gigs) which is used only for Photoshop. That is really too much, but it was convenient when I sent it up. You shouldn't be having any temp folder purge problems on 9.2.2. Keep in mind that when you open Photoshop, even if it is just running in the background, it is going to take and hold the ram you have allocated to it. Also, Photoshop ALWAYS uses the scratch disc no matter the file size.

Back