What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Spectre's method for creating X-rays

Erik

Guru
Last June, 'round the time I started browsing the Photoshop forums, someone asked at TG how to make real looking X-Rays photographs in Photoshop. The Spectre gave simple but very effective way to do so. He agreed on my posting it here, so give him a well-deserved applause and pay a visit to his site at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/the_spectre/ (thanks, Spectre)

X-RAYS:

First, take your original bone image, desaturate it, and put it on a new Layer. Now, duplicate the Layer TWICE. You should have three Layers of bone now. Name them as you see in the image I provided (You can forget about "Orignal Bone Image" Layer, I just put it in their for comaprison's sake.) Now, give this bottom bone Layer a Gaussian Blur of around 6.0, to give that blurred effect that you would see in an X-ray.

Now, go to the "Light Areas and Tint" Layer, and then go to Adjust>>Hue/Saturation. Click "Colorize", and play around with the sliders a little till you get the tint that you want. A lot of X-rays have this eerie blue/aqua tint to them, depending on the flourescent light used to view them, and the material that they're generated on.

Now go to the "Dark Areas" Layer. Bring the Brightness down a little, and Invert the Image, so the the Light areas are now dark, and vice versa. Set the Blending Mode to Colour Burn. Give the Layer a Gaussian Blur of around 1.0 (to get rid of the dark edges around the perimeter of the bone, which will come through, seeing as this layer is on top.

The result:

Tron

Guru
Good tute Erik, thanks, and to you as well Specter

Don't let Stu see this though- ypu his habit of digging around a night looking for bones :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The_Spectre

It's been a long time since I've done that. :)

I still like it though. I'll keep looking in the forums to see if there's anything else I can contribute with, as well as learn from.

Just as a side, my "updated" Gallery is at http://surferx.org/~spectre

The one that Erik linked to is still current, but I'm completely re-doing the whole design.