What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is interesting. Clipping Mask on a Gradient path.Is it a bug ??

SharmaN

Hi respected Gurus, This is interesting indeed. See I want to clip an image on a gradient fill of a path with layer styles. Surprisingly it's not working the way I wanted. Maybe it's a bug or I am doing it wrong. Any help will be highly appreciated. Please see the attached screenshots. Also, I am attaching the layered PSD.

Regards

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

I Want to achieve something like this. See the image below. I achieved it using adobe Fireworks. I created a blank elapse and I masked it in Fireworks.

Sharma_N.jpg

Attachments

• Sharma_N.psd
    227.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

polarwoc

Guru
Surprisingly it's not working the way I wanted. Maybe it's a bug or I am doing it wrong.
So, what is it you are trying to achieve?

If you want to get the man clipped into the circle, there are multiple ways including applying a mask on him.
I selected the circle using Ctrl+Click on the circle thumbnail. Then I applied mask on the man's layer.
1.png

Will this work as a solution for your project at hand?

polarwoc

Guru
I just noticed that the Opacity of your Gradient Overlay is 100% and the Blend mode is Normal. If you either change the Blend mode or the opacity percentage, you can see the clipped man.
2.png

Hope this helps.

SharmaN

I just noticed that the Opacity of your Gradient Overlay is 100% and the Blend mode is Normal. If you either change the Blend mode or the opacity percentage, you can see the clipped man.
View attachment 117225

Hope this helps.

I want to achieve exact similar to it. One thing why cant I just clip the image on the ellipse with layer styles?

Sharma_N.jpg

puraidodes

There are 2 problems I see here.
1- The gradient overlay in layer style is the reason you cannot achieve a clipping mask with the fx. Because it always sits on top for some reason. So, you will not see the guy if you clipped it. You will only see the gradient.
2- when you switch off the gradient overlay you can clip it. But the problem is the white outline which you have done with an inner glow will not be visible on top of him as it will go beneath the guy and his shoulder & hands will be seen on the white.

I don't think there is the solution to the fx problem. I think I have seen this problem in previous versions aswell. But as @polarwoc suggested the alternate way is a simple layer mask.
If you still want to do it the clipping mask way then you would have to it the long way and separate all the layers. The gradient in 1 layer, the outline in one layer, and the guy in another layer.
Duplicate the round bg layer use it as a clipping mask for the guy to put the outline layer on top and the other gradient layer at the bottom!

thebestcpu

Guru
I want to achieve exact similar to it. One thing why cant I just clip the image on the ellipse with layer styles?

View attachment 117226
The Layer Styles of the base Layer of a clipped pair are applied after the clipped images are applied. Therefore, the gradient, inner glow, and outer glow that you have are all applied over the image of the person. You can verify by adjusting the other Layer Styles such as inner glow to a larger size and it will overlap the person as well. (I did not know this until checking it out)

An easy workaround is to add one more clipped Layer with the gradient right below the clipped image of the individual.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

PS - there are likely other workarounds and other forum members might jump in with suggestions.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The main problem I see is that you did not learn from your previous question here:

While clipping masks have their advantages, they are not always indicated for use. The clipping mask can not be used in the presence of a effects layer (layer style). The FX layer covers any other layer/image clipped to it. You can test this on the clipping mask example by turning off the FX. The man will appear when the FX is off, and then disappear when the FX are on!

Use a layer mask!!!

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.08.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.07.19 AM.png

With a Gradient overlay....
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.14.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.16.17 AM.png

NOTE: The layer mask is not linked to the image............therefore the image can be moved and positioned anywhere within the masked area.