What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tips for Creating PNG with White object on White Background

picturesinthemail

Hello PSG,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to turn this image into a PNG with a transparent background and just the shirt and its minor surrounding shadow.

I tried searching through the forum to see if there was already something available to help with this but didn't have any luck. I'm basically just looking for techniques on going about it. I'm currently using CC 2015.5 and quick select tool isn't helpful with this at all. I've also used the lasso tool and outline everything which takes FOREVER!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _MG_8361-Edit.jpg
    _MG_8361-Edit.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

bbq_bob

Does it have to be this shirt? There are free t-shirts images that you can put the design on using a blending of "Darken".

tshirt_PNG5445.png

Rich54

Guru
Hello PSG,

I'm basically just looking for techniques on going about it. I'm currently using CC 2015.5 and quick select tool isn't helpful with this at all. I've also used the lasso tool and outline everything which takes FOREVER!

The hard part is making a good selection of an object when it is very similar to its background. Sometimes it does take forever and the various quick methods can't do the job. But one trick is to temporarily create greater contrast or distinction between the object and the background. In this example, I added a Levels adjustment and gave it some extreme settings, which you can see in the image below. The shirt now has a greenish cast and the background is gray, which will give tools like the quick selection or 'color range' something better to work with. If not a Levels adjustment, you can also try copying your image to a new layer and experiment with blend modes such as Multiply, etc. These are all just temporary measures to allow you to more easily create the selection. Once you have saved the selection, go back and apply it to the original image and discard the now un-needed distorted layers.

Having said all that, in this particular case I would probably use the Pen tool. It takes a while but you get a very clean selection.

shirt.jpg