What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titanic's reflection - angular profile

Titanic iPT

Hey everyone, thanks to Photoshop, I have managed to remove the background from Titanic and now she's sitting pretty in a blank canvas!

I'm planning to go further, though, and want to add a reflection to her diagonally-angle photo... This is because I will then place Titanic into this photo below and looking at the other ship there (she's Voyager of The Seas, btw), there is quite a distinct reflection that I want to place on Titanic...

View attachment 42079

However, being a newbie, I've only managed to produce reflections on flat-surfaced images thus far... As for Titanic's angular profile, I'm having trouble in both looking for the right reflection as well as placing it under her profile... Can the experts help here?

Btw, the image of Titanic that I plan to add a reflection to is attached together with this thread in .PNG format...
Titanic no background copy.png

This reflection will be a challenge. It may take me awhile to work this one out. Keep checking, maybe someone else will have an idea!

I am confused. Are you wanting to add reflections "to the ship" or "of the ship"?

Crotale, I think he wants a reflection of the ship.

I am thinking the same thing, but he mentions another ship going into the image...

Yeah, he's referring to the Cruise ship from the attachment.

The attachment comes up as an invalid link for me.

As far as the refection goes, it will be dicey at that angle, as he will need the underside of the ship's hull for accuracy.

Yup, that's what I'm looking at... I've looked at articles as well as YouTube guides but I'm still not sure how to duplicate the reflection on "Voyager of The Seas" to Titanic...

Thanks, Sam. Titanic, as I said above, you will have better success if you can find the underside of the ship, or at least a shot from a low perspective. Otherwise, you will have to "fudge" it.

Ok, this is a really quick fudge (one version anyway) and it needs a lot of work!

I used the Pen Tool to draw the reflection. I then used the Smudge Tool to give it a ripple effect. Then just lower the opacity.

I'm certain there are many other ways to do this, I'm still looking for a better one,

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 10.44.23 AM.png

Fudge it means you would simply take the object and flip it, then rotate to make the inverted bow and stern mate up under the original, accordingly. From there, you will have to take several rough measures to reshape the reflection so that it looks believable to any degree. One of your final steps will be to add a displacement map to the reflection based on the water in the image. Do you know how to make a displacement map?

I suggest you go with IamSam's idea.

I like Crotale's suggestion as well.

Here's another heavily fudged version that I did very fast and needs a lot of work.

I duplicated the ship, flipped the duplicate, added a layer mask and masked out the ship so that only the side was showing. I then used a variety of the Transform tools to fit the duplicated ship to the other. Then the Pen Tool to draw in the black underside of the ship. I combined the layers and used the Smudge tool to blend. And finally I added another layer mask to the merged reflection and used a transparent to foreground preset gradient to add a fade. Lowered the opacity.

On thing I did not do is add the water distortion. Also the Bow angle is reversed.....needs to be bowed downward.

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 12.03.07 PM.png

Minor tweaks with the Liquify Tool for the bow and the Smudge Tool for the ripples.

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 12.29.54 PM.png

The ship would also cast a shadow.

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 12.38.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 12.40.23 PM.png

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are good... Looks like I've got a lot to familiarize myself with then! :D

Now that the Titanic is surrounded by a blue background, how do I remove it later? I have saved the files and may be using PS at the end of the day, since I'm in the office now! :)

Last edited:
Titanic, I greatly apologize if I have been misleading. My intent was to help you accomplish the reflection on your own by offering some ideas and techniques, I was only providing the images to serve as examples of what you can achieve. I made them small and far from being finished. I was waiting to see if you liked the results so that I could offer you a more in depth tutorial on the technique.

I encourage you to attempt this on your own as your doing so well!

Hahaha, thanks for the help anyway... Trying out the reflection thingy now, in fact, although I'm still not able to get the reflection like what you managed to! :D

Where can I get an in-depth guide on how to do a perfect reflection then?

Last edited:
Where can I get an in-depth guide on how to do a perfect reflection then?

That's the problem, there's really not one that I could find. This type of reflection from this perspective is very different as it would require that you have a photo of the bottom of the ship.

Back