What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent text on a solid color panel?

celticmagick

Dear Group,

I am in the process of designing a clear label for my aftershave and would like to have the text on a solid color panel be transparent so that the liquid is visible. I would also like to have an outline (Line) tracing the font to help it stand out a little better. I've been doing some internet searches for "punched out" and "cutout" text and the like but this process is using two solid color layers.

As it stands now, I have a transparent background, the panel as one layer, and the text as another layer on top of the panel.

I came across a process for Illustrator but was hoping that it could be done in Photoshop as well since I have everything already setup in PS. I did try the method described for Illustrator but I couldn't get it to work in PS...not throwing out the high percentage of operator error on this one :)

Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated :)

Best regards,

Jason

A sample image of what you mean may help.

Do you mean like this
Chanel-No5.jpg
If so the easiest way in my eyes would be to use the marquee tool make a rectangle selection of the cologne bottle where you would like the labe to be go to edit copy then edit paste on a new layer draw your label up then do your text drag your copied part of the bottle up to above your text layer right click the layer and choose create a clipping path that way the image will only show through the text

Sorry about that...something along the lines of this. I know this isn't exactly a transparent font - it looks more like low opacity. I have a solid color (black) panel and would like the letters to be cut out of the panel.

transparent cut out text.jpg

well you could do it my way but an easier way would be to draw your label fill it with a solid colour then use the type tool there are many options to either use the type tool as a subtract from path but I will give you 2 easy options
option 1 duplicate the bacground image draw your label then do the text drag you duplicate of the image to the top layer or above the text layer and then right click it to create a clipping path. or 2nd option right click the text tool and select horizontal text mask tool then type your wording which will show up as a selection on your label use your mouse to move the selection anywhere on the screen and press the delete key and you should just see your text but made up of the backgound image or whatever is below your label layer
Chanel-No5.png

Honestly though option 1 on my last post is your best bet it is easier and you get to change the text font size and position a lot easier than tha mask option

May be I didn't get it clear, but there is a Knockout option in the Layer Blending options. Just make your text layer, group it with the panel, and for text layer set Knockout option to Shallow and Fill Opacity to 0.
Hope it helped.

SCTRWD,

Brilliant! Thank you for this suggestion. It creates the effect I am after and sets the fill to transparent. Thank you all for your suggestions and replies! :D

You could just use the type mask tool on the solid color shape, then hit delete.

Back