What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transparent with Photoshop 7

JallaBalla [EO]

I have made a picture transparent with PS 7.
However since my picture does not have symetric lines it shows with white lines around the picture...

SO my Q is: ;\

1) How can I make my lines (the pixels) more symetric (creating a round shape instead of pixelblocks)

2) Can I make my images transparent smarter? Maybe I do it wrong. I delete the backgruond "save for web" and make it a gif file.

What I want :) : Make my picture transparent without the white lines around the reticule. [excited]

To see my pics...check this out:
http://www.enemyoffline.com/showroom/transparacy.htm

I checked it out but I don't follow. Do you mean by transparent - the object on its own layer without background or transparent by layer option? How did you make it transparent?

If its on its own layer. it may be that the white is caused by residue from the original background which you deleted.

vee

I deleted the background layer and saved my image with only one layer.

I see. Then probably the object has residue of the original image you cropped it from. Unless that white was an outline of some sort.

Hoping you still have the layered file, try this - Flatten with white background, convert the image to grayscale, create new layer and make it the active layer, click on the grayscale channel in the channel palette. This will select the inverse of the object (white bckgrnd). Inverse and fill with black. Convert to RGB mode don't flatten, click on the 2nd image layer in the layer palette. This selects the object on the second layer. On a new layer, Color fill with your choice.

It may be off-white. Zoom in close and use the eyedropper tool to select a sample of that white to use for the background before converting to grayscale.

Hope this helps.

vee

Ya mark that one too. I never read that one.

Which gives us a lesson here - never take foregranted a small, simple tute like that one. You never know when it might come in handy. Thanks Mark.

vee

it might sound silly but all I do is make sure that when I am saving the matte colour is the same as my background :\

right now I will have a look at the link you have posted Mark...... perhaps I am doing it wrong too (although they look fine)
sfm

:perfect: sfm jumping up and down....... I got it right he he he
whew ;) ......... the filling with background idea I like Mark - gonna try that one today he he he
sfm

dv8_fx said:
IFlatten with white background, convert the image to grayscale, create new layer and make it the active layer, click on the grayscale channel in the channel palette. This will select the inverse of the object (white bckgrnd). Inverse and fill with black. Convert to RGB mode don't flatten, click on the 2nd image layer in the layer palette. This selects the object on the second layer. On a new layer, Color fill with your choice.

It may be off-white. Zoom in close and use the eyedropper tool to select a sample of that white to use for the background before converting to grayscale.

Thx...i'll try

Hello Jallaballa,
To try to answer your first question, smooth lines instead of pixalated ones.
1) Have you tried designing your graphic using vectors? (i.e. pen tool)?
2) Marks tute is excellent if transparentency is what you want.
If you want to eliminate the fringe from an object you've selected and dropped on another layer or image, try this.
1) Select object
2) Put object on it's own layer (control/J)
3) Layer>Matting>Defringe(set value depending on the size of fringe).
Hope that helps.

nitrobutler said:
1) Select object
2) Put object on it's own layer (control/J)
3) Layer>Matting>Defringe(set value depending on the size of fringe).
Hope that helps.

i cannot find matting... [saywhat]
where is it?

Thx... it helped a little, but not much.
Maybe the cropped image is just of too bad quality?

The reason I dont want it to have these with borders is that I am going to use it in a flash I am making. The reticule/aim is supposed to move over some other images and therefore it has to be transparent...

But what about this vector graphics you are mentioning...? I heard its a great difference between vector and raster graphics, but never really understood what...

A vector graphic comes out crisp in PS. These you may know are created in vector apps like Corel and Illustrator. Graphics from these apps are resolution independent, meaning you can resize it and you wouldn't lose detail.

Try re-doing the image in vector and export to PS.

OR - re-create the image in PS by using the pen tools. It's like doing it in Corel Draw but with extra attitude.

vee

Great thx m8! :)

I'll have to get corel or illustrator then =)
Looking forward of trying it.

Thx again!

Without wanting to interfere: Photoshop also has vector-based tools now, and apart from CorelDRAW and Illustrator, there are some other apps like Xara and Freehand. Imo, Corel is a dinosaur that is slowly sinking into the marshes of oblivion: they have lost their sharpness since their extravagant president had to leave a few years ago. And also imo, Xara is lightyears ahead of the others, IF you're not constantly into the world of professional printing. Not because it can't follow, but because it has many options that neither Quark X_Press nor InDesign can work with.
It is also much cheaper, and a fully working demo is available.
Many people here use it, but unfortunately, it only runs on the mac when you use emulation: there is no version for mac.

www.xara.com (look for Xara X)

The following image was done in Xara. It is a quick demonstration of how 3D booleanss can be imitated with vectors. Believe me: Xara is easier than the others.

I was hoping one of you guys would chip in :rofl: .

That I have to agree with you, erik. CRLDRW IS becoming a dino. I'm trying out Xara right now. But around here, the dino is very much in use coz service bureaus don't know how to handle Xara let alone a very few who knows it.

Ya, Photoshop has vector based tools but I still find it easier and faster to do things in Corel. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

Jallaballa, you now have other choices, bud.

vee

Back