What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn this into a realistic collage

shawnrb10

So I tried to make a collage using this method:

youtu.be/iUe2lVQZFHQ

FINALjpg.jpg

It turned out okay, but I find that the "pictures" look too fake. How do I make the pictures look as if they were printed on real glossy photo paper?

(This is my first ever photoshop and I am using CS2 because I'm broke ;))

Help?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't feel shy or inadequate your using an older version. Unless you're into graphics full time and earning, what you have is good enough for your use.....

Add slight shadows behind the "paper printouts". This way it adds to the illusion of depth of having paper sections. Be mindful of the layering when adding the shadows as well as shadow angle....

It might also help to add a bit of vibrancy by using either levels or contrast adjustments on the entire SNOWDON image.

As well as adding a bit of darkness and brightness adjustment on selected areas framed by paper print tile section. In real life, you can't expect all the glossy, print sections to reflect light similarly.

As pointed out by dv8, having a convincing Poloroid frame really helps.

This is a plain jane template with a few layer style additions such as subtle bevel and emboss.

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 8.52.20 AM.png

Then, with layer styles, I added some texture, a gradient to match the light source of the BG, and of course a drop shadow to give it depth.
(I got these a bit too dark, I would lighten them a bit.........working too fast......not enough time!)

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 8.49.40 AM.png

It's much more believable now.

In the main composition, you need to leave some room around the collage to give the viewer something to relate to.

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 8.56.11 AM.png

If I had more time, I would delve further into the drop shadow appearance and reflections.......maybe another time. For now the layer style drop shadows will work fine.

Last edited:

Back