What's new

Uniform Cells or Tiles

How to turn the cells in a stained glass filter into uniformed, hexagonal cells / tiles ?

I would like to create some paint by number drawings - a bit more detailed than the example - ive been looking for hours now, just cant find out how it is done. Anyone help please?

Screenshot 2018-11-26 at 00.00.06.png

Eggy

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forum Moderator
I don't know how to turn the existing spherify (by Richard Rosenman) effect into a hexagonal shape effect, but I can show you how to make that hexagonal effect.

Open your picture
Untitled-1.jpg

You can create your own hexagonal shape texture but that's why we have the internet, plenty of them for free.
Pick a PNG (no background)
Place the hexagonal texture on top of the image (I picket a seamless one so I can go bigger or smaller but for the example I choose this size)
Untitled-2.jpg

CTRL + click on the thumbnail (you'll see the marching ants) and inverse the selection (select/inverse)
Make the picture layer active and add a layer mask so that will clip away the black hexagonal shape from the image.
Go to layer/layer style to open the FX options.
Click on 'bevel&Emboss'. Depending on the image size you'll have to experiment with the setting to achieve a bevelled effect.
Untitled-3.jpg

Example.jpg

Since the hexagon grid made the image darker you can add a curves adjusment layer to lighten the image.
Example2.jpg

I hope that this is an answer to your question...

Eggy

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Forum Moderator
PS has filters that will do the job too but no hexagonal cells that I know of. (But I'm getting old so this is until someone proves me wrong)

Here's a filter with square cells
Untitled-4.jpg

Example3.jpg