What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M1GMan3000

About a few years ago, I've heard of a process of bringing cartoon characters to life by using photo-realistic textures, to give an idea as to how these cartoon characters would look like in real life, hence the term "untooning". However most of these untooning attempts look so unrealistic and are extremely creepy (especially with Homer and Bart Simpson). The same was done with various video game characters, in which some were not nearly as creepy. Which leads to my request, if someone could untoon a realistic video game character from in-game textures to textures of those of the real world, which would greatly be appreciated. So here are the two pictures I want to be "untooned", or in this case "un-gamed":

Metal Gear Solid 4 Mei Ling 26.jpgMetal Gear Solid 4 Mei Ling 27.jpg

The character here is Mei Ling, as she appeared in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. What I'm looking for is the most realistic results that Adobe Photoshop can possibly give. The main focus is making the textures of Mei's skin, hair, clothing, and eyes as realistic-looking as possible, while staying true to her facial features as they are in the game (shape of the eyes [including the shine and glossiness of them], eyebrows, jaw, chin, cheeks, etc.).

You can ignore the background, for the main focus is bringing this character to life. In fact, if you want to, you can make your own background if you like.

You can also ignore the US Navy Captain collar insignia (which are the silver eagles on the collar of her shirt), and paint/illustrate over them if you don't feel in the mood in replicating their metallic texture and appearance.

If someone can please do this for me, that would be greatly appreciated, because I've tried untooning like this before in Photoshop, but the results were mediocre. Thanks!;)

Hello and welcome back.

I have come across untooning before. It's very interesting and, as you mentioned, some of the results are a bit scary! The process, if done correctly, is very time consuming and labor intensive. While I would enjoy the challenge, the effort it would take is simply not worth my time, not to mention that if I were to take on such a task, I would choose a more interesting and recognizable character.

I truly hope someone steps up to the plate on this one. I would really love to see the outcome. I can tell you already that this character favors Heather Locklear so that's were I would start. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back