What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using smoke on a black background.

AndyD89

Hi, from a free download vector website I have downloaded a smoke image that features a few different kind of smoke. The image has a black content-aware background and I have no idea how to remove so I can use in in another image, any suggestion ?

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 14.16.48.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any way you can post the original and not a screen shot?

If it's just on black background, use the "screen" blending mode and maybe lower the opacity.

Smoke layer
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.44.45 PM.png

Parrots
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.44.54 PM.png

Smokey Parrots!
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.58.53 PM.png

Layers panel
Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.47.13 PM.png

AndyD89

That's the whole image, I would just like to use them singularly without the black background

Screenshot 2019-12-15 at 15.01.47.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is still a screenshot of a smoke layer that has had it's opacity reduced. You will need either the original smoke on black or smoke on transparent background. As it is, it may prove difficult to remove the smoke from that background. It's actually a great measure to stop theft.

Can you link to the site where you found this image?

gedstar

Guru
That's an Adobe Illustrator Vector file
1576407155001.png
You can download free smoke brushes from here

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the link. I had to run last night and I've only just viewed it and your last post. Ged is right, this is an Ai (Adobe Illustrator) vector file.

Are you creating Brushes for the Brush Tool? If so, you can use Geds suggested links. If you are trying to add smoke to an image/composite, you can down load any smoke texture image with a black or transparent background and use the technique I described above.

You can also extract smoke from a texture image with a black background to use as brush. Just use a quick and easy Alpha Channel selection process.