What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the gradient tool.

chris-in-cali

Howdy, new to the forum and I must say it is AWESOME!

Well, I'm starting to use photoshop for my designs because it rocks and sves me a ton of money on art materials.

I am having problems with the gradient tool.
For example, I am working on a koi fish, so I will go in and select certain scales using the QUICK SELECTION TOOL.
From there I will go to the gradient tool, select the gradient i want to use, save it and click ok.
The gradient that i want to use will show in the gradient bar in the top left corner, but when i go to click the gradient in it uses what I'm guessing is the default colors which is a black to grey gradient.:banghead:

ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

The first option for the gradient tool is Foreground to Background, so what every you selected as your foreground and background colors will be used by the gradient tool.
Pressing the (D) key sets the default Foreground to Background to black and white but change them to whatever you want.

There's also Foreground to Transparent, Neutral Density and a bunch of others.
You can customize them and save as new gradients.

ok cool, ya it was weird...in any other design I load, I didn't have a problem with it.
just that one that I was basically learning photoshop with.
Even when I selected either the forground or back ground and then select any color it would show up as grey in the little box.
Must have been something I tweaked while messing around, but thank you for the quick reply!!!

Now to move on to the layering headache

Back