What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vector format -> Photoshop ? Possible?

intlowner

Fellow Photoshoppers,

I face problem. I have a .EPS (Macromedia Freehand) file that has a bunch of vector objects that I would like to import into photoshop. Is it possible to preserve the vector format?

Any ideas? The reason why I need it in vector format is for printing. Hmm...

Many many thanks in advance. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Dan

Intlowner, I'm not familar with that particular type of EPS file, but when you import generic EPS files into Photoshop, it will rasterize the file.
I'm assuming that this would be the case here.

However, it is at this point (before opening the file), that Photoshop will give you the option to set the resolution. Choose 300 ppi for print purpose. ;)

Ah hah!

In the event that any of you ever need to do this, here are the instructions:

Load up any vector based image format, in my case, EPS.

Select the vectors, choose COPY PATH OUTLINES or equivalent command.

Jump into photoshop, create a new psd, pump the resolution to 1500 or above. Paste the outline as a PATH.

Then you can go from there for resizing and such. :)

I hope someone will use this someday. Does Photoshop 6 have built-in vector based editing? This would make my life easier and i wouldn't have to pump up the resolution to 1500.

Thanks Gurus!

Dan

intlowner I'm curious and excited now (at the thought of being able to import vector graphics into PS)... you say:
Load up any vector based image format, in my case, EPS.
In what program are you loading the EPS file up to, prior to copying and pasting into Photoshop? [confused]

I used Macromedia's Fireworks program to open up the .eps.

Select the vector shape you want to copy, right click and continue with the instructions above.

It's really pretty neat that PS was able to import the copy as a path! :) Good luck, if you find any way to advance this technique, let me know.

Cheers

Dan

B7 intlowner! Thanks for the reply! :perfect: I'm going to have to do some experimenting with that! ;)

Back