What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wacom Tablet

pdog182

What size wacom tablet should I get? I'm thinking of buying one, but it's a pretty hefty purchase. Also, do you have to use the mouse that comes with it and, if you do, does it have to always stay on top of the tablet. You see, I write with my left hand, but I use the mouse with my right. Will this be an issue?

ever tried Wacom in the "search" function (up right, between faq and memberlist) of the forum?

yeah, but I got 5 pages of results. I tried to narrow my search but I must have done something wrong. I then tried reading through every article, but couldn't find anything that helped much.

Sorry if i'm asking a previously posted question, but I didn't think the "left hand/right hand" portion of the post would be redundant.

pdog, it depends on what you normally do, as far as tablet size is concerned.

I have a little Graphite and I'm as happy as a pig in...well, you know :)

But here's something from Wacom that MAY help:

http://www.wacom.com/tabletwizard/index.cfm

Take that as a starting point, only; remember they're trying to sell you stuff.

As a web designer, the little Graphite is perfect for me, and for the unusual times I have to work on huge files, it still does the job. If I worked on the large files most of the time, I'd invest in a larger tablet. Better than trying to draw and paint with a mouse any day (sort of like trying to draw with a bar of soap!)

Bottom line: no one can tell you what's "perfect" for you. You alone know how you work, what you work on. A large tablet is great if you work on large files (and by this, I mean image dimensions, not file size).

Thanks AppleCider, that link was helpful. I still don't know which one i'm going to get, but i've narrowed it down to the 6x8 or 4x5.

pdog, I just recently purchased a Graphire tablet and am quite happy with it. I still haven't quite got used to using it (Iguess I'm so acustomed to the mouse that I find it easier sometimes) I think it will just take a little practise. Mine is just a small one 5X4 I think, cost 150 Canadian. And In answer to your other question yes you have to use the mouse on top of the tablet. I like the mouse and use it all the time, but your standard corded mouse can remain conected and will still work. So you could use the pen with you right hand and still use your standard mouse with your left. Hope this helps.

Yes it is very hard to say what tablet is best for you. I have the Intuos2 9x12. I chose the larger one so I can map two desktops. Most use the smaller tablets due to desk size and available room. You can't go wrong with any of the Wacom tablets. :perfect:

Back