What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Drops & Rain on Window Effect in Photoshop

Ibe Owunwanne

I'm not even sure if what I am trying to do is possible but here goes: The new Trey Songz album cover (Passion Pain and Pleasure) has Trey looking out (a window I guess) with rain drops streaming down the cover. Is it possible to just remove his face and substitute it with another pic? I'm assuming when they created the album cover, they did it with layers but I don't have those layers obviously. Maybe someone can teach me how to make that rain effect? This is purely for comical uses only and won't be republished for the public per se. Attached is the cover art. Thanks!

Attachments

• TreySongz-PassionPain26PleasureOfficialAlbumCover.jpg
    TreySongz-PassionPain26PleasureOfficialAlbumCover.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 72
Anything is possible, but it would be far easier to just make this window effect from scratch and put a different face behind it than to try and remove the face from this pic and put another one in it's place.

The text will be very easy to reproduce.

thanks for the speedy reply. I'm going to try my best to search the forums for any topics that pertain to window/rain effects, but do you know of any topics or links off the top of your head that can point me in the right direction?

I think what you could do is add a texture (watery glass)layer with it and work the opacity and there you go

Well, im not sure this is the best way to do it but... If it were me i would find a pic of a window with rain and find the face you want to use then do some masking around the face and go from there, let me see what i can come up with!!

THAT'S IT!! I QUIT!! HAHA!! Nice one iDad, in my opinion to pull this off and have it look realistic, you have to use a real image of some rain, it will require some touching up with brushes but the main rain drips need to be real, i am masking out some stuff as i type this so ill report back..

WHAT!!!!!! Y ou don't think Casper is real?????? LMAO

LMAO! Awesome. Alright iDad, did you take a stock "rainy window" photo to create that? Is there some kind of effect in photoshop that allows me to recreate that?

You could easily do it by setting the window layer mode to Overlay, i try and always remind myself that the best results come from keeping it simple and taking your time.....

I have played with both methods and so far masking out the background and leaving the rain drips is working the best, the photo you asked about looks crystal clear and that's the key in that photo imho..

lets see it DU

sorry gtg i'll be baaaaack!

Maybe do something like this and sat this layer as an overlay over your face pic so it looks like the reflections are coming through off the face in the drops..

Left half has been masked... I know there are still some artifacts left behind but you get the general idea..

rain_example.jpg
example.png

took me a few minutes if I had a real face to throw in there it would take the same (as long as extracting wasn't to bad)casper was "just casper png formate made it easy All I did was tsake the texture(window and removed the background then (I think DU said it also) created the layer mode to overlay. Don't be fooled though it could get complicated .depending on images. sorry had to run for a few

I took the Rainy Window image and applied a layer mask and masked out the window leaving the drips and certain spots, if you are trying to achieve the exact look of the photo you showed, i would browse some pics until i found one with more whites that have light grey shadows. Then mask out the window leaving the drips behind and then bring in your face pic and lay it under your rain drips in your layer pallet then set your rain drips layer mode to Overlay to get the face to come through the drips and work from there.

To seriously pull this off and of course this is only my opinion, it would take some fine detail and imho, there is no quick way to get fine details....

Last edited:
One of the Deke McClelland videos that Yutosi posted here shows how to make a rain effect like that using the built n tools of Photoshop, without a stock photo. I can't remember exactly which one it was, I'll try to find it and post a link.

Back