What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Website question

brandon skyy

alright...now im not new to making badass flash sites :D
but i need a site that is NOT flash...something that will have users be able to sign in and upload content of their own. someone told me about wordpress, but from what im getting from their website is its made to have a layout for blogs...if anyone knows of any sites to refer me to let me know. i'd RATHER NOT use dreamweaver but if i have to i will. coding is always a hassle.

"coding is always a hassle.". you dont have to say that twice. try iWeb application just a suggestion

Hmm, you don't wanna get me started on Flash websites, so I'll just let some other guys do the talking for me to avoid you not liking me very much, lol :) Crap to ignore:

Flash @ CLOUD PANIC

Flash is a fun tool for graphic design and animation, it's not a web design tool. But if you really wanted to you could also program your upload modules in action script and use flash.

What you are looking for is actually pretty complex. Because you need a backend that can handle user accounts and user uploaded content. This is not something you will be able to do yourself, that is serious programming. Just the security requirements need a professional or a professional product. You cannot just give people access to a server. Their access has to be limited and protected, the data they leave about themselves or which they upload needs to be secured protected.

This is why WordPress was suggested to you. It has a lot of what you require integrated already and because it is very popular it's probably safe to say that security updates are fairly frequent. WordPress is not just a blog templating system it's gone far beyond that and it is by now a full content management system. Having said that I'm not sure it would be my first choice for a user upload community I think it's natively a little too far removed from that.

I'm actually looking at creating something very similar. A place where people can sign up and upload stuff and I'm also not a PHP/CGI/Ajax programmer I subcontract that sort of stuff. But this is a little private project and I just want to do it in my own time so I am at the moment working with:

Adobe Business Catalyst

This can probably satisfy your needs. But it also needs a little studying. I'm just getting started with this.

Depending on what you need you could also use a forum software like the one we're using here. User accounts and uploads are part of most forum scripts these days.

Let me know if this helps you along the way or if you need any further assistance

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the in depth response Chris.

I'll explain a little further of what im doing....I am making a 'burn' site. I dont know if you know what that is lol its a joke type of site. where people online who get burned/cooked/fried/broiled lmao its just a term for jokingly insulting someone else...Think of it like that old show on mtv YO MAMA.

Basically it will have snapshots of arguments on facebook or myspace or wherever some funny argument was going down, and uploaded to the site. now i initially was going to just have me, but i know i would get a lot of visitors if people could upload their own...have the top burn of the week on the front page...maybe a section that i could upload videos of people going at it...

And you're saying this Adobe Business Catalyst could do the job? Or could wordpress handle everything im looking for?

Yes, business catalyst can definitely do this. It may need some studying on your part though.

WordPress can probably also do it at all within the confines of a blog software. Even though I'm a big WordPress fan it wouldn't be my first choice for this kind of project.

As per my earlier post, most forum softwares will also do this. Like the one where viewing here, we can signup for an account, start posts upload etc. But again everything within the confines of a forum software.

If you really want full control of layout, Visitor journey, what goes where on your website I would suggest a solution such as business catalyst. However as I said I'm just getting started with it myself.

The ideal is to get a PHP programmer and have him done a proper job for you. That's the best.

hope this helps

Chris

Back