What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does this mean?

ingyaningya

I was in a discussion, (it's to long to explain), but someone left me this comment:

"To recreate Kinemacolor you need to start with Kinemacolor i.e. you need to start with a piece of film that was shot through a rotating red-green filter wheel, so that the alternating ‘black and white’ images have the required different tonal values. It is then possible to combine these to create a colour record frame by frame using Photoshop or similar which can take red and green channels to create a (exactly how I’ve no idea – I am no expert in image software). I guess you could take an ordinary piece of black-and-white film (in digital form), extract the red and green channels and create a Kinemacolor composite, but how practically you would achieve this I don’t know"

I have a couple questions
1) How do you extract the red and green channels
2) What is a composite colour picture, and how do you create it?
I really want to try this thing, so how can it be done?

Duplicate channels

You can copy a channel and use it in the current image or another image.

Duplicate a channel

If you are duplicating alpha channels between images, the channels must have identical pixel dimensions. You cannot duplicate a channel to a Bitmap‑mode image.

1. In the Channels palette, select the channel to duplicate.
  2. Choose Duplicate Channel from the Channels palette menu.
  3. Type a name for the duplicate channel.
  4. For Document, do one of the following:
    • Choose a destination. Only open images with pixel dimensions identical to the current image are available. To duplicate the channel in the same file, select the channel’s current file.
    • Choose New to copy the channel to a new image, creating a multichannel image containing a single channel. Type a name for the new image.
  5. To reverse the selected and masked areas in the duplicate channel, select Invert.

Back