What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to print low resolution photo?

Avzlvlzv

I've got a black and white historical photo I picked up online of a 9.7 by 7.5 inches old aerial photo of a city when a lot of it was sand dunes at a resolution of 72. Can a reasonable print be made of this and what is the best way to prepare this photo for a good print.The photo also has red/pinkish transparent splotches throughout it which I would have to somehow get rid of.

What is the best way to make good prints out of such low resolution photos and also get rid of the transparent red splotches? I am using Photoshop CS5.

you could change the document resolution to the desired resolution i believe photoshop will adjust it with artificial pixels but not to sure if that is true

Of course you need to scan it so scan it in gray scale not RGB to start.
Do your touch up and see how it prints on a matte or textured paper.

If you want to increase the resolution select "Best for enlargement" as the interpolation method at the bottom of the Image Size box.
Hoogleman is right, PS will do it's best guess to add pixels but it will also decrease contrast.

One of the best programs for this is Perfect Resize 7 previously known as Genuine Fractals 7.
It's available as a 30 day free trial but it may watermark the image I don't know.

I'd suggest you save your work in steps.
Do the HQ scan and save it.
Do you're PS touch ups and Save As a new file, etc.

Back