What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this image (and how to fix it)

JoeBruce

Hello all -

I have an image here that has a weird opaque area in the top left corner (and less pronounced in the top-middle of it, too). My knowledge of Photoshop is pretty limited, but occasionally I find little projects like this one that help me learn more. I've reduced the image size to make it easier to post/download, but I'd like to learn how to fix this image. My first attempt was using the clone stamp tool, but felt that was too tedious - it strikes me as a tool for tiny areas, not large sections.

Part of my problem is defining what exactly is wrong with the image, so I could not locate any threads or tutorials seeming to deal with the problem. I feel this should be a relatively easy fix using some of Photoshop's layer & adjustment tools. Advice and direction are much appreciated.

Tower image to edit.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
My guess is that the anomaly was caused by reflections from the window of the airplane or helicopter that the photographer was using. The window looks like it also introduced a overall green cast on the image.

There are several ways to minimize the reflections. The most conceptually straightforward would be to use the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop.

Another approach would be to mask similar areas and then operate on those areas separately with different curves or levels. The advantage of this approach over using the dodge and burn tools is that this allows one to adjust the average contrast, color and other aspects of each area to be appropriate. However, one would still likely have to deal with the edges of each area either by manually drawing on the masks for the curves adjustment layer(s) with black and white to achieve a seamless blending effect.

HTH,

Tom M

JoeBruce

Tom -

Thanks for the reply, and pointing me in a direction or two for the editing process. I should be able to guide myself with tips & tutorials from around the interwebs at this point, but if I need more guidance I will check back in at the forum.

If anyone else has a suggestion please share - but thanks again for the help.

ammenRA

off topic

if i were to search a similar image, what do you call that big rock in english, once i tried to find that kind of image but it doesn't come close. i used boulder, big rock, stone mountain etc