What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's wrong with this picture?

ZipedX

Power User
Hi guys/gals!On my way to my mother in law earlier today I just had to stop the car to take this picture.Can you please tell me what's wrong with it in your opinion? I'm asking since it would help me to improve my skills.MÃ¥lsta.jpg

Also, is it just me or is the preview really dark for you too?

No photography person either, but I like the composition, nice shot. With a minor levels adjustment I like it even more!
hershey.JPG

Thanks ALB.

Unfortunatly the highlights in your version are blown out from my end. Care to attach the file so I can have a proper look?

It could be a little brighter for one thing.

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
Was just a quick adjustment and a screen shot. No proper look necessary. It just needed lightening up as Hawkeye said.
Thanks ALB.

Unfortunatly the highlights in your version are blown out from my end. Care to attach the file so I can have a proper look?

Typing on my iPhone from our car on I-70, on the WVA-Ohio border ... My main criticism would be: No center of interest.

T

It's a beautiful shot, but there's no real focus point. When I looked at it my eye went searching for what the point of the photograph was supposed to be.

With the right cropping, perhaps using blurs and color work, etc., you could make this into several different pictures. I've done a couple of quick examples. Both could be improved with a little fiddling, but I think it shows what I mean.

test2.jpg

test1.jpg

Typing on my iPhone from our car on I-70, on the WVA-Ohio border ... My main criticism would be: No center of interest.
I'll have you elaborate on that when you've got some spare time.I'll upload a new PS-recomposed version. I realise that I should re do the shoot. But working with what I have at the moment here.
MÃ¥lsta2.jpg

Thanks for your critique, keep it coming!

Last edited:
I would personally go for more of this style crop. Ignore the color editing etc just installed topaz suite and had to activate them so some undesired effects.

MÃ¥lsta.png

I like how you cropped it Hoggle would probably have gone for something similar if the sky hadn't felt so flat.

Also I was going for the yellow field, should probably have tilted the camera more. Our do you guys feel that to be a bad idea all together?

Your vision is entirely yours, so nothing is a "bad idea". I rather like the yellow field idea.....

test3.jpg

All pictures do not need a center point or focus point I believe this image is the focus point and main subject almost panorama, all in all it looks great the lighting (brightening) situation that Ralph has a nice touch but that's also a personal preference ..........imo.

All pictures do not need a center point or focus point I believe this image is the focus point and main subject almost panorama, all in all it looks great the lighting (brightening) situation that Ralph has a nice touch but that's also a personal preference ..........imo.

What both you and Sierra say is most certainly true and I thank you for it. However I also appreciate all feedback I recive for just that reason. In one's opinions lays that someone's truth.

Keep the ideas and feedback up I appreciate it.

Hi ZipedX –

I received the PM that you sent, and here are some of my thoughts on your image.

However, before I speak in detail about your image, let me make a few general comments.

Specifically, on an internet forum like this, making suggestions about how to “correct” what appear to be obvious technical flaws in an image is a surprisingly difficult task. Suggesting other types of “improvements” to an image e.g., selection of subject, composition (including viewpoint, cropping, field of view, removing unwanted elements, etc.), lighting (which includes time-of-day as well as added light), costuming, makeup, etc. is an even more difficult task. In both cases, the difficulty commonly arises because the person who posted the image didn’t give sufficient information about their intent, and may not have even thought explicitly about what they want their image to look like, to what use it will be put, etc.

As an extreme example, some years ago, a fellow on another photography discussion group posted an image of a landscape in which the apparent subject was somewhat out of focus (OOF). He asked for suggestions on how to improve the image. Assuming that he was almost a rank beginner, I wrote a nice response about how to focus a camera. He was annoyed because he felt that he was way beyond that level of expertise and was trying to give the scene a dreamy, “soft-focus” look similar to some images that he had seen. Of course, there was no way I (or anyone else) could have known that. In a similar vein, I’ve seen many examples where one eventually learns that someone is trying to make a scene look like it was photographed at night by simply underexposing it, but initially says nothing about their goal. There are dozens more examples like these in the technical domain, and a much larger number dealing with less mechanistic aspects of producing an image that meets the photographer’s expectations.

W.r.t. the landscape you posted, technically, you did a very reasonable job. You produced a sharp image. You exposed it very well (ie, low contrast with no blown highlights and no impenetrable shadows), but not dramatically, ie, in such a way that one could easily change it in PP (post processing) to appear either bright and sunny, dark and moody, rainy, or just about anything you want. With respect to composition, there are not any obvious extraneous elements in it (eg, kids photo-bombing, blurred cars whizzing by in front of the camera, trash, etc.). So, because there are so many possibilities, any suggestions that I or anyone else might make will only reflect what *we* would do with your image, not how you might want it to look.

If you are uncertain how to describe the sort of look you would like this image to have, just go to Google Images (or equivalent), find a couple of photos that you like of similar areas, and post their URLs. Then, we probably can tell you what you might do to achieve a similar look.

For example, for some audiences (eg, your family, a postcard, etc.), I would probably prefer a more wowie-zowie HDR like version that was brighter, with more contrast, more saturated colors, and more “drama” in the clouds, so I came up with something like this (before and after versions):

MÃ¥lsta-xnv_698px_wide.jpg

MÃ¥lsta-tjm01-acr-ps06a_sRGB_for_gif_comparison-698px_wide-01.jpg

OTOH, for all I know, you might prefer any of a million other options, eg, a version with my efx turned down by 50%, a late-afternoon version with warm, long shadows, or even a soft, dreamy, romantic look – only you can say.

Outside of the mechanical/technical aspects, with respect to composition, your photo reminds me of a style of landscape painting composition from the 1800’s, eg, John Constable's "Wivenhoe Park", or George Inness’ “The Lackawanna Valley” where the "subject" is much less obvious:

John_Constable's-Wivenhoe_Park.JPG

George_Inness-The_Lackawanna_Valley.jpg

However, as I mentioned in my earlier post, personally, I would prefer a different arrangement of the buildings relative to the background. Perhaps, you should consider making one of the buildings significantly more prominent than the others, with “leading lines” leading the viewer’s eye around the picture, and with a camera viewpoint closer to the ground so that the foreground flowers are much larger.

Realistically, the work involved in trying to simulate a different composition in PS is too difficult, so if you want to try something like that, and since you apparently pass by that area frequently, it’s probably much easier for you to simply take more photographs of this scene.

Finally, let me suggest that with respect to landscape composition, you simply Google {landscape composition} and read some of the many excellent articles already written on that subject, e.g.,

http://photoinf.com/General/Lee_Frost/The_Art_of_Composition_-_Landscape.htm
- - - THE ART OF COMPOSITION - Landscape

http://photoinf.com/General/Johannes_Vloothuis/landscape_composition_rules.html
- - - Photography Composition Articles: Landscape Composition Rules.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2...-landscape-photography-and-how-to-break-them/
- - -The 10 Commandments of Landscape Photography (and how to break them)

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/04/12/10-rules-of-photo-composition-and-why-they-work/
- - - 10 rules of photo composition (and why they work)

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/10-top-photography-composition-rules
- - - 10 Top Photography Composition Rules

http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/3372/18-composition-rules-for-photos-that-shine/
- - - 18 Composition Rules For Photos That Shine

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/h7dfrceh/5-easy-composition-guidelines.html#
- - - 5 Easy Composition Guidelines from Nikon

http://www.naturephotographers.net/np101/gt0804-1.html
- - - Landscape Photography

http://digital-photography-school.c...trated-with-pictures-from-eastern-washington/
- - - 10 Landscape Composition Tips

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/composition-2.shtml
- - - Composition (Part 2)

Anyway, I’ve rambled on way too much.

Cheers,

Tom M

Was just a quick adjustment and a screen shot. No proper look necessary. It just needed lightening up as Hawkeye said.

Hey, Guys - Totally by coincidence, I just received the latest newsletter from Finerworks.com. In it was an article on how to brighten images without blowing out the highlights as Larry did:

http://finerworks.com/theo/blog/an-...rinting/brighteningimageswithoutoverexposing/

It obviously is a more common problem than one would suspect.

BTW, the method that they propose, the shadows/highlights tool is good, but certainly is not the only way to approach this problem. In most cases, I prefer starting with all the wonderful tonal adjustments available in ACR, or even a simple "curves" adjustment layer before I hit an image with the shadows/highlights tool.

T

Gosh Tom...
How on earth am I ever gonna beat that post length..? ;)

Honestly though I acctually frased myself quite vaguely so I could get many suggestions of improvments both composition wise and technique.

The feeling I was after was an almost endless smooth flowing yellow field. The buildings just something I have to incorporate in someway since I can't remove them. So mainly I would like to get suggestions as to how I could have done this. I realise this can be hard since you guys weren't there of course.

As for the links and your critique, I thank you and will go through them in good time.

Hey, Ziped - A couple of questions:

1. By any chance was that photo taken somewhere fairly far north either in the USA or Europe? The land and vegetation looks a lot like an area I used to live in in upper New York state, near the Canadian border.

2. If you walk diagonally towards your left into the field, but aim your camera a bit to the right, it looks like doing so might make the buildings appear more in a more evenly spaced diagonal line, and thus form a "leading line" in the photo, but I don't know what you'll then have for a background. Is this a possibility?

T

Back