What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are my hotkey preferences saved?

SharkyNB

Hello!
I am going to be upgrading my computer, specifically shutting down my HDD and starting my computer fresh on an SDD setup. So I am going to have to reinstall photoshop. I have been using this setup for years and I have made a lot of changes to the preferences and Hot Keys. Im sure there are some files saved somewhere that I can just copy and paste onto my new rig so I don't have to go back through and make all of these changes. Can anyone point me in the direction of where those files are? Thanks! ps I am using CS6

MrToM

Guru
For PS 2014 running on Windows 7 x64 the file is located here...

C:\Users\ <username> \AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\Keyboard Shortcuts.psp

Should be the same......oh....just read the above post.

Regards.
MrToM.

gedstar

Guru
No worries :thumbsup:

P.S. enjoy the new SSD their awesome!!

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries.

Just for a bit of added 'extra info' even though this file has a .psp extension it can actually be opened in a normal text editor....should you want to edit your keyboard shortcuts externally. (With PS closed)

Not all .psp files are editable this way.

Regards.
MrToM.

MrToM

Guru
You can also export all your keyboard shortcuts using...

EDIT > KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS... > SUMMARIZE...

...but this is really just for reference as it saves out as an HTML file which can then be opened in your web browser.

Its easier to see what shortcuts you have but as it gets its info from that .psp file editing it does nothing but change what it displays......its the .psp file that's the 'brains' behind it all.

You could also save, or backup, whichever you look at it, that whole 'Adobe Photoshop xx xxxx Settings' folder.....then just copy its contents back into the 'new' settings folder once you have installed PS again.....deleting the contents first.

Starting PS always checks for that settings folder....if it exists it uses the preferences in it....if not it creates a new folder and fills it with the defaults....then uses those.

Even across different versions you should find that this will 'restore' ALL your settings to how you have them now....its rare that newer versions remove preferences so the ones you have should still be relevant in later PS versions.

Regards.
MrToM.