What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where can I find 300dpi backgrounds?

d-woo

Hi,

I'm working on some print work in PS6.

Where can I find (online) some various backgrounds?

I'm willing to purchase them.

I have a scanner...but am looking for marbles, swirls, etc that aren't patterns (repetitive over a small area) but have multiple variations and cover an 8.75 x 11.25 area.

Thanks. :)

There are a number of photo web sites that have many different images for use for a price at 300dpi.If you are looking for swirls and marbles etc like you said maybe check out Nasas site they have really large sized tifs for download,which include galaxys and planets etc.Not sure what their commercial use policy is though,they may even have much larger ones for licensed use as well :)

Stu.

kiwi said:
There are a number of photo web sites that have many different images for use for a price at 300dpi.

Stu.

Hi Kiwi...I've heard of these types of websites but have only been able to find stuff for the web (72 dpi).

Do you happen to know the URLs?

Thanks..I'll check out NASAs site.

Hi d-woo and welcome to the board :perfect:.

First of all the use of DPI is wrong in this case. What you're talking about is PPI. It doesn't matter how much PPI a file is, if you want to print with 300 DPI, because it's the amount of pixels that counts. If someone would give me a CD filled with stock photos all with a size of 5.000x5.000 pixels, even at 72 PPI, then I would be a happy man. Under image/image size I can change my PPI to 300 without having to resample the image (unselect 'Resample Image').

More explained here: http://desktoppub.about.com/library/weekly/aa101800a.htm

Firstly, welcome aboard d-woo! :)

As Kiwi has pointed out, there are all kinds of "stock photo" sites that will sell you hi-resolution photos... for a price. Myself, in such cases, I purchase from www.corbis.com

Enjoy your stay here and I hope that you are successful in your quest to find the images that you're after! ;)

Cheapest solution is to get out and buy some marbles etc and scan them yourself. There are lots of shops that sell gemcuts around everywhere...

Apart from that, Gaussian is right: any image that is appr. 2700x3500 pix will do.

Another option that I havn't yet got the chance to try out would be photospin (www.photospin.com). It's a subscription service $250 or so a year. They have a whole whack of images and most if not all are available in 300ppi. The NAPP (www.photoshopuser.com) is offering a 45 day trial to the site with new membership currently as well.

FuNoMo

Welcome for the forum FuNoMo and thanks for sharing this info with us! :)

Back