What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where I can found old decorative border vintage photo banner as shape or vector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElenaLauder

Hi to all
I search this kind of decorative border:
stock_photo_reverse_side_of_an_old_photo_print_w.jpg
as shape, vector or brush? I don't want to create it at self.
Thank you very much for a respond.
Bye
Elena

Tom Mann

Guru
If that's exactly what you want, heck, it's almost a layer mask already.

Just select the black border, flood the central area with pure white, and there is your layer mask. If you need a larger version, scale it up and, if necessary, sharpen up the edge by thresholding the up-rez'ed image. You can then apply it to whatever image you want. Here's a version that is 5x larger than the original (in both linear dimensions).

HTH,

T

Attachments

• 57539923-tjm01_ps01a-make_into_mask-01.jpg
    57539923-tjm01_ps01a-make_into_mask-01.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 21

ElenaLauder

Hi and thank you very much for your effort.
Unfortunately I will need to create the layer with path at self.
Because I would like the edge sharper.
I think it exist maybe somewhere as shape or brush.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Elena, I recognize this old pattern. My Grandmother had a pair of Pinking shears (one of many) that she used to scissor this pattern on the edges of newly processed photos before she added them to her photo albums. Modern scrap-b-o-o-k-e-r-s had nothing on her!

I love a challenge! I spent about two hours yesterday searching the internet for this particular pattern in which you could make a brush with. I could not find one.

You may have to use the one you posted as a template, then use the Pen Tool to make yourself a brush from this pattern.

ElenaLauder

Hi IamSam
Your right, I have searched also and I didn't found it, I have found scissor to making the border, but not a brush.
The last thing I see is to make it at self.
I have thinking they must exist somewhere, because is realy unique and somebody make maybe a vector shutterstock with this border.
Thank you anyway for your help.
Elena

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have to work today, but if I have time later this afternoon I will make you a brush. Or, maybe someone else will jump in and make you one! Take care.

Tom Mann

Guru
OP: "...Because I would like the edge sharper..." This is not sharp enough? Below, I have attached a 1:1 crop from the lower right hand corner of the original. It is an area about 1/50th of the total area of the original. Tom M

Attachments

• 57539923-tjm01_ps01a-make_into_mask-02_1to1_crop.jpg
    57539923-tjm01_ps01a-make_into_mask-02_1to1_crop.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 46

ElenaLauder

Hallo
Yesterday I was motivated and creat e path/shape with exactly that what I looking for.
Problem solved and thank you anyway to all for your help.
Elena

1.png

Tom Mann

Guru
Elena, you did a very nice job with the border, but you don't seem to be using the term, "sharpness" in a conventional way.

In message #3 of this thread, I posted a template for you that was 2250 x 1545 pixels in size and the boundary between the interior and black surround was sharp at the level of a single pixel. This is because the boundary in mine was determined by a threshold operation. One can not get a sharper transition than going from full black to full white in one pixel, as mine does.

In comparison, in your latest post (#11), you post an example of a decorative border that you developed. It's also sharp at the level of individual pixels, but, it's only 903 x 1059 pixels in size. In other words, comparing the long direction of both examples, your posted example has only about half the number of pixels as mine.

By the conventional definitions of edge sharpness, the two examples are either equally sharp (# of pixels to make a full transition), or mine is actually sharper (fraction of the total image length to make a full transition).

Perhaps you are trying to express some aspect of the image other than "sharpness". For example, perhaps you are concerned about the shape of the border or repeatability of the pattern. If either of those is the metric, then yours is clearly much nicer than mine, but neither of those criteria should ever be called "sharpness".

Tom M

Status
Not open for further replies.