What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which one should i buy

egosbar

Guru
i have a gift voucher for this store and im looking too buy a new laptop , photoshop is a huge part of what i use my computer for , i dont do any gaming on laptops

would appreciate any thoughts

there are only 12 available as its a gift card i am limited to these 12 at this stage

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buyon...00+1000%7D+1000%29&minPrice=&categoryId=15481

im leaning towards the samsung ( second last in list) 8gb ram , 1tb hard , 1.9ghz but no touch

or

the acer v7 touch , i usually buy acer and ive always had limited problems with them

think i might even spend a little more and buy this one im sure i can haggle the price down a bit

Hewlett Packard E3B17PA Envy 15-j021TX 15.6in Intel Core i7

anyone have one of these id appreciate your thoughts

Just don't go for the really expensive stuff unless you WANT to pay twice the price for ~+5-+10% increase in performance. Unless you're just doing it to impress your friends and make your enemies envious, then by all means...

If you're using it primarily for Photoshop lot's of RAM really helps.
A large disk drive gives you a large scratch disk, but it's slow, Ram isn't.

Without reading the specs on each computer I would say I'd give up disc space and a faster processor for more RAM.
Ram, processor speed, and drive speed, and drive size would be my order of importance, but that's just me.

Firstly, make sure the laptop uses an Nvidia graphics card. AMD cards are okay for gaming, but Nvidia is built for design.
Don't get any of those crappy software based graphics systems, as there will be quite a few functions you won't be able to use as Photoshop needs to use the GPU for some types of rendering (liquify for example).

Now for RAM. Depending upon the size of documents you plan on working with, you should have 6-8GB of ram with a speed of 1333-1600. If you're working on huge documents, go for 12GB. Also, don't buy crap genric ram, invest in a decent brand, such as Corsair.

As for CPU, Intel all the way of course, and with a speed of at least 2.5-3.0ghz.

As for drives, a 2.5" solid state with a minimum size of 128GB is essential to make the most out of your memory and CPU. If you work with mechnical drives, you might as well buy a laptop with a crappy CPU, RAM, and GPU. Mech drives are slow, and you have to defragment them regularly. No such need with a solid state drive.

Now, take out the dvdrom, and replace it with a optical to 2.5" drive bay, and put in a mechanical drive. This is where all your media files (such as saved psd files) should be stored. Never store working files on your OS drive, it just slows it down. Keep the OS drive for the OS and programs.

Don't go for Acer. HP or Samsung is the best bet. And i7 works well with Photoshop. I dunno, but Win7 seems to be a better OS.

Apart from choosing a laptop with Nvidia graphics card, max out your RAM if your budget permits.

But on another note..... Why get a laptop? Why not get a better desktop or upgrade your present system? I preferably won't do graphics work on a lap unless its for on-the-spot minor fixes or presentations with a client. You might encounter glitches or render speed problems not to mention future system failures or mechanical breakdown from constant use.

Nothing beats a robust DESKTOP.

Why is this in Mew Member Introductions?

Firstly, make sure the laptop uses an Nvidia graphics card. AMD cards are okay for gaming, but Nvidia is built for design.
Don't get any of those crappy software based graphics systems, as there will be quite a few functions you won't be able to use as Photoshop needs to use the GPU for some types of rendering (liquify for example).

Now for RAM. Depending upon the size of documents you plan on working with, you should have 6-8GB of ram with a speed of 1333-1600. If you're working on huge documents, go for 12GB. Also, don't buy crap genric ram, invest in a decent brand, such as Corsair.

As for CPU, Intel all the way of course, and with a speed of at least 2.5-3.0ghz.

As for drives, a 2.5" solid state with a minimum size of 128GB is essential to make the most out of your memory and CPU. If you work with mechnical drives, you might as well buy a laptop with a crappy CPU, RAM, and GPU. Mech drives are slow, and you have to defragment them regularly. No such need with a solid state drive.

Now, take out the dvdrom, and replace it with a optical to 2.5" drive bay, and put in a mechanical drive. This is where all your media files (such as saved psd files) should be stored. Never store working files on your OS drive, it just slows it down. Keep the OS drive for the OS and programs.

I also thought the same. I found when I started with PS7 my laptop...just didn't have enough, nor could I expand it...RAM, graphics card and storage were all lacking. I built a tower,never looked back, and I can upgrade from my core chip....thru RAM.

Built in graphics cards are normally not very good for 3D....This can be quite important, depending on what you do..

................ Nvidia graphics card. ......... Don't get any of those crappy software based graphics systems .......................... Now for RAM. ................... 6-8GB of ................ If you're working on huge documents, go for 12GB. ................. As for CPU, Intel all the way of course, and with a speed of at least 2.5-3.0ghz. ............................ As for drives, a 2.5" solid state with a minimum size of 128GB ..............

I agree 100% with the specs you're quoting but you're way out of the $900 budget egosbar seems to be dealing with, you're now in the $2,000+ range.

i get a laptop because i can sit on the lounge and watch a movie , talk too the family , play poker etc without being isolated , the family suffers if your sitting in a room for 6 hours

I think my post on this topic got lost at the end of Ego's "1st paying job" thread, so here it is again:

IMHO, for ordinary sized images, these days, the real issue when purchasing a laptop for image editing is its LCD display, not its processing horsepower.

Almost any reasonable processor running a 64 bit OS and with 6 or more Gig of RAM will run normal sized PS files at a reasonable rate. The concern about laptop displays is that there are a huge number of examples on photo discussion groups on the net where people have purchased a laptop, used their hardware calibrator on it and the best delta_E that could be achieved was still horrible.

IMHO, if a major use of the laptop is going to be color critical image editing, and you don't plan to supplement the on-board display with an external conventional monitor, then you simply MUST have a good display. The problem is that it's very hard to determine this from reviews posted on the net, from viewing an in-store display, etc.

If the laptop one buys runs a little slower than you want, or faster than your wildest dreams, nobody but you will know. However, if the display is off and you can't profile and calibrate it, everyone who sees your images will know.

T

ill keep it in mind tom but i definitely will have too go a laptop, ill try too see as many forums as i can too get the best chance

Hi Ego - I'm not trying to steer you away from a laptop. Rather, I'm simply suggesting that given the speed and memory that comes with most laptops in the last couple of years, you don't have to worry so much about performance as you do about getting a high quality (in the sense of color and tonal accuracy, not dpi or total # of pixels) screen.

T

ill keep that in mind tom , but as you mentioned it is harder too determine then simply ram or processor speed , im looking at this one at the moment ill go google it again and check the graphics card

Hewlett Packard E3B17PA Envy 15-j021TX 15.6in Intel Core i7

just had a look heres the graphics card , nVIDIA® GeForce™ 2GB dedicated graphics card
but im still no wiser lol

Last edited:
I would choose the Samsung, a friend of mine had HP and after a while the laptop had alot of problems, I think that Samsung is a more reliable laptop.

ok the orange as red is a turn off for sure

just checked it out , looks like most posts are from 2012 and they were aware of the problem , apparently they released fixes, i wonder if the newer models have the same problem

the hps have some bad reviews, the samsung looks good so far

Last edited:

Back