What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrinkles in sky

RichardC

Hi folks......I've got a pic with a sky that looks like about 6 pieces and overlapped a bit. They're all the same blue and they don't show up on my computer screen.......just prints from a kiosk.
It's hard to describe but I'm sure that there's a name for it and it has probably been discussed many times here. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
RC

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
"Wrinkles in sky" ? I'm still trying to figure out what it looks like Richard. Do you have an example? Are these a few images that are stiched together into one image? So you only see that they overlap when the image is printed? If that's the case then something most be wrong with your monitor. What kind of monitor is it and how old? Try boosting the contrast and saturation in your image, just as a test, it should show the overlapping parts at some point.

RichardC

;\Gauss, I think the name I wanted is "banding"............That one must sound familiar.....does it?
RC

Gaussian

Retired Administrator
RichardC said:
;\Gauss, I think the name I wanted is "banding"............That one must sound familiar.....does it?
Yes, you get banding when the output device is limited by the amount of colors it can show or if the source image contains a limited amount of colors. Banding is mostly visible in gradients. You could call it "color clipping".
My guess is that the kiosk doesn't use a device that supports many colors that would have avoided this banding.
If you would like to use the same kiosk, then consider to add a tiny bit of noise to your images, hardly visible; this will slightly reduce the banding. Of course the best solution is to find yourself a better place for your prints.