What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

X1.5 and PS7 - Ram Disc?

Cpt.Spaulding

Greetings-
Photoshop 7 is on it's way. Have read and heard that previous versions wanted to have a seperate HD or partion as a ram disc to minimize drive fragmentation. Is this also an issue with PS 7 and OS X1.5?

Thanks

G4/400, 1.35G RAM, 60G 7200 IBM, 20G 5400 Max., OS X1.5

G

Welcome to the board Cpt.Spaulding :perfect:

I don't have a Mac but there are some people on the board who have one.

Can anyone help us out here? :D

theKeeper

Guru
Not i said me... STU?!?

But generally yes, a separate 'space' for the scratch disk is of most benefit where PS is concerned; on any OS. This is for both effeciency AND performance reasons.

You can probably find some specifics on this subject on Adobe's site.

kiwi

Guru
Oooh I am not using OSX yet so I am not sure,but I would think so Cpt Spaulding :) ...Apple Cider would know about this one I think :)

I have an 80g IBM drive,a Vancouver or something its called,but I have it partitioned in 4 and I keep one entirly free which is just for scratch :D

Stu.

sfm

Guru
Stu scratchin ha ha ha which is just for scratch oh man you gotta put a flea collar on ha ha ha
sfm

theKeeper

Guru
hahhaa man! You guys are REALLY at each other throats lately huh?! hahahaa :rofl:

Stu?... a "Vancouver"?! You're not kidding are you? hahaa that's a really odd name for a HD! And i should know... i LIVE in Vancouver! hehee :D

sfm

Guru
oh great not only do I find out Stu scratches but ..................
:\ now I find out that the guru our keeper lives in a hard drive! [stuned] ha ha ha
sfm

Erik

Guru
Photoshop always prefers to have its primary scratch file on a separate HDD, or at least on another partition.

Cpt.Spaulding

Thanks for all the feedback folks.
I'll put a partition on the 7200. 5 gig enough? Will be working with a lot of RAW files from a Canon G2 and some graphics work from time to time.
Interesting site. A truly international gathering. As a relative PS greenhorn, will probobly have more answers than questions but will contribute when I can. I've been shooting for 30 years, mostly available light B&W with rangefinders, and have been a camera repair tech for the last 18.

Cheers

Tron

Guru
Welcome aboard Cpt. Spalding :perfect: It would be nice to see some of your work

Erik

Guru
If you make apartition that will solely serve to put PS scratchfile on, then 1 gig is enough. In fact: there's a relation with the amount of RAM you have.
I cannot specify things for OSX, unfortunately, but if really necessary, Adobe themselves can be contacted.
Me too, I love B&W photographs, and I would appreciate it a lot to see some of your work.

AppleCider

Power User
Erik beat me to it :) Except the size of your scratch disk, which should indeed be reserved for PS scratch files, depends on a) the amount of RAM you have and b) the average size of your Photoshop files. Normally 1 gig is plenty, but if you regularly work on huge file sizes it probably won't be enough. That's true for any PS version, not just 7. I haven't heard anything about 7 being especially hoggish on scratch disks. However, it CAN be a piggy about RAM, especially if you use the healing brush or the patch tool a lot.

Erik

Guru
I didn't beat you, Julie: I only borrowed your knowledge for a moment. I wonder how come people never notice that their brain is being taken over...

Of course you're right: five layers on a 75MB image, and then some healing, cloning or deforming can make a systems with 512MBRam a bit dizzy...

AppleCider

Power User
Arrrrghhh!!! Someone's in my brain? I wonder how Erik got in there, and how he found anything there??

Erik

Guru
I asked Stroker how to become a Borg, and disguised as a mac virus the job was easily cleared as you were not on your guard. But, being a real gentleman, I did leave some happy thoughts, dreams and fantasies. They will come true the moment you'll most need them.

Cpt.Spaulding

Thanks again one and all. Guess I'll just make it a 2g partition just to be safe.
Will see if I can slap a few quick images up in the near future. Unfortunately all the B&W stuff is still on celluloid. I went digital mainly to produce material for my wife's band and got hooked. Sold all the leica stuff to buy all the computer stuff, and have been pretty much figuring out what I'm doing in the heat of battle. An unfortunate side effect was picking up bad digital habits. Thank gods for sites like this. However, it looks like I have to pretty much redo all my files. Luckily, after I got my burner, I have been archiving all the direct downloads to CD. Now if only PS7 would get here. Have been waiting on it to make a nice clean start.

Aside- Took Adobe up on their $300 offer and ordered on 10/30. Was told by the support person (India maybe?) that it was on backorder! Maybe another week. Here I thought they were in the software manufacturing business. Guess they are outsourcing CD production as well. Maybe that's why all the pirated stuff out of China. Just crank out another couple thou.