What's new

Yes, it is...

gare

Power User
Roger Dean happens to be one of my favorite living artist/designers;
http://www.rogerdean.com/
Although he's best known for his album art of the 1970 s, he's also a gifted "environmentalist"...he builds spaces for humans.

I like his work because of the organic feel; quite relaxing! But perhaps he's best known for his "Yes" logo; the rock group's signature is still one of the world's most recogizable logos--right up there with Coca-Cola.

Let's see if we can't translate the logo into this Millenium, digitally. Because this is Application Convergence forum, use any application you like; 2D, 3D, whatever.

Download the Illustrator file if you like for a scalable stencil. And by all means, do your submission in Illustrator, if that's your thing.

Animated GIFs are fair media, too!

Who knows? I might just email him and invite him over here! :D

My Best,

Gare

Raven

Power User
:perfect: WOW -- Roger Dean's works are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for the link, Gare, I enjoyed seeing these tremendously. His use of design and color is awesome and very inspiring. INCREDIBLE! :}
---Crow

gare

Power User
Yes!

You betcha, Crow! Very "meditative" stuff.

Here's an entry I call GIF Yes.

My Best,

Gare

...and yes, it was a ***** to do! I created an alphabet, saved it as a truetype font, then used Xara 3D to do the animation.

nitrobutler

Power User
Just the first idea that crossed my mind, I will ponder some more [confused]

Raven

Power User
:perfect: :} :} :} All of these are such fun!

Gare, that's such a unique animation too, great how the letters revolve and look so smooth in motion doing so with the interlocked connection...it looks amazing! 8D

Welles

Guru
Here's two from Xara3D 6, Gare. The jpeg I can upload but the GIF is just too big so I'll provide a link. Instead of making a font of the different paths in the original, I saved each filled path as a EMF format out of Illustrator and imported them into X3D6.

So here's that GIF (Warning!...500K)

I love eye candy! ;)

gare

Power User
SCync---

SCync,

I can't get your animation/still to load in IE, and Firefox directs me to an ISP home page...and yet evidently, Welles could and got a kick out of it...please advise!

Welles, terrific animation! I didn't think to import Illustrator pathe to X3D--I just took the long way about it (creating a "YesFont"--hmm, perhaps Roger Dean would like it; Yes is touring again, I understand B7 ).

What did you use Eye Candy for? I love it, too, as well as Path Styler Pro--Eric at Shinycore sent me the latest version, which works in Illustrator, and I'm thinking of checking into Betty Ford's Dual Diagnosis Clinic for font and plug-in addiction [confused]

My Best,

Gare

Welles

Guru
Re: SCync---

gare said:
SCync,

I can't get your animation/still to load in IE, and Firefox directs me to an ISP home page...and yet evidently, Welles could and got a kick out of it...please advise!
That's a first. Safari on a Mac is usually slightly less competent than Firefox when it comes to rendering web pages.

gare said:
Welles, terrific animation! I didn't think to import Illustrator pathe to X3D--I just took the long way about it (creating a "YesFont"--hmm, perhaps Roger Dean would like it; Yes is touring again, I understand B7 ).
Thanks, Gare. I liked that one. It looks great full screen in Xara3D 6. I tried to shrink it as much as I dared and was never going to get it close to load on this site so I gave it up and compromised between load time and screen size. That you got your animation under 100K was a great design choice.

gare said:
What did you use Eye Candy for?
In this case, I used eye candy intending a descriptive term meaning high calory, low nutrition, slightly cloying visual imagery (which I happen to like!). What other term could be used to avoid confusion with Alien Skin's software? ;)

gare said:
I love it, too, as well as Path Styler Pro--Eric at Shinycore sent me the latest version, which works in Illustrator, and I'm thinking of checking into Betty Ford's Dual Diagnosis Clinic for font and plug-in addiction [confused]
Haw! I share that addiction! :D See you at the BFDDC!

SCync

Power User

gare said:
SCync,

Hmm...working for me in IE and Firefox! Anyway, here's a direct.

http://img270.echo.cx/my.php?image=yes0ci.gif

Thanks Welles, the little animation is actually from a particle emitter.

Welles

Guru

SCync said:
Thanks Welles, the little animation is actually from a particle emitter.
That's a relief. At first I had a horrible vision of creating that with KPT5's Orb It.
8D

Sean

Guru
Hey guys, is it possible to open the "yes" illustrator file in PS? If so, this is all i get!

gare

Power User
p?tr?

Hi, p?tr??k

Illustrator imports have been wonky w/ PS since version 5.5...sometimes they work...it depends upon the application that creates it.

Here's a blank PS document with the saved path in it.

Enjoy!

My Best,

Gare

gare

Power User
Yes to Yes

I thought it only fair to invite the namesake members of Yes over for a spot of tea, and show them what we've done, so far. So they climbed aboard a Virgin Airlines shuttle, we picked them up in my wife's van (it can hold 6 with the back seat folded up), and whisked them away to our family room, where I whipped out my didital camera and documented the event to share with you all.

They liked it, and asked Roger Dean over my telly (how am I going to pay for transcontinental calls???!) to take a look at the work, and to consider working in CS2 from now on.

...the toughest part was matching skin tones from 5 different lighting scenes...
Gare