What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your opinion please

Adam McIntyre

As you may know I've just launched flyerheroes.com, I'm thinking of creating a mailing list,

would you subscribe to a photoshop related mailing list?

Would you want it every week or for every post? (average of 3 posts per week)

Just wondering your opinions on this & if you're subscribed to any other mailing lists :)

I might want to be on a mailing list, depending on what the site was... but every week is plenty. If you get too many announcements, you started to ignore them.

IMHO

Agent

Thanks for the response :)

That's cool - so not for every post would suit you better? If it was simply a regular non-spammy email just letting you know that week's posts, you'd be more likely to stay opted in?

I would, personally.

I got emails every time someone responds to a post that I'm in on this site - I don't even click on the link on half of them. It's just too much.

If it's a thread that I started, or one I'm particularly interested in, I will.

Otherwise....

Agent

Everytime I buy a brush I get spam updates everytime I buy a plug in I get spam updates everytime I upgrade my adobe products I get spam updates. Or anything I have to gfive my email address to to get a product join a forum etc to do with photoshop basically gives me 100+ emails a week hence I have an email account just for photoshop/adobe products in general but yet never read any of them anymore. From what it sounds like your going to be releasing several products a week all though they are all completely different at the end of the day it is the same product over and over again just a different design. That is no way meant to be critical if your work but how many times can you sell a flyer to someone. The way I see it is if you launch a new flyer then email me to tell me you have I would see that as a cold calling salesman. If I want to get inspiration I know your site exsist otherwise I wouldnt be on your mailing list right So I can browse it if I need to buy a template/ design I know your site exsist so I can browse it then.
However if you focused your email more on a newsletter and maybe just send it out once a month explaining in general your new products and what you will be focusing on over the next month, Maybe ask people on your mailing list what they would like to see and maybe do something on your site where if I get a code from your newsletter and type it in on your site it will give me a free download Ie a template a certain brush you have made or something to make me want to read your newsletter even if just to see what the give away is Then that would be more appealing to the majority of people. We live in the day that everything is pushed onto us through advertising and your market is a pretty slim 1 (yet again I mean no offence in that) and I honestly dont have the need to see new flyer designs 2 -3 times a week.

However if you are having a seperate mailing list for things like nightclubs who will want flyers doing all the time then that would be the people you would ant to be aiming your this is my new range leaflets at. Sorry if it is long winded was not suppose to be I just hate spam lol.

@Hoogleman, I agree with you 100% - which is why i don't ask my customers to opt in to any mailing list etc, but this is RE flyerheroes - I'm not selling anything, simply letting you know there is more free stuff :)

Oh I thought it was to sell flyers well in that case count me in lol. Please Dont I have an addiction and have a 500 GB hardrive just full of librarys of templates graphics textures brushes actions etc etc I am a Photoshop Horder and really dont need anything else but if I see something that I think may be usefull to me 1 day I have to download it. Or If I see a brush I like the look of but will never actually use it in my work I have to buy it. I have over 500 blood splatter pngs/psds and brushes that I have downloaded over the last couple of years and some stupidly bought how many projects have I done where I have used any reference to Blood 0 a big Zero.

that's funny, a Photoshop hoarder! Maybe we need to chip in and get you a cognitive therapy psychologist. Or for Christmas you can give all the bloodstains away.
:rofl:

and put me down for a couple of those other brushes

Ok now you have just set me off I am thinking of doing a project based on christmas and have been all week and trying to put it off for at least another month but if you insist of making me think of christmas then so be it lol. Anyone have a good jungle theme set of brushes.

let me get this do you have an account with graphic river that lets you have a profile or do you own the site

Dang! I wish I owned Graphicriver haha

No mate, I simply have an account on there! Anyone can have an account! It's a truly awesome place to be!

I was just checking it never rang a bell until I just saw a set of actions I had bought on there before I came across it by mistake and never really looked back at it. It is like videohive I am assuming it is the same company vimento or something like that. Shame I dont do professional work appears to have an e shop already set up if you have an account whats the pricing like or is it they take a cut of everything you sell

Thanks for the response :)

That's cool - so not for every post would suit you better? If it was simply a regular non-spammy email just letting you know that week's posts, you'd be more likely to stay opted in?

I would like that. I get those from several different sites, I don´t mind them as long as they are announcing what´s new once a week, or once a month or something. Every time there is something new is too much though, and kind of annoying. :)

@Hoogleman, it's simple - you upload your work, if it's good enough it goes live. You start off by earning 50% of what you sell (so they take 50%) and that goes up to 75% once you've sold $75,000 worth of goods.

I'm typically pocketing $1000+pm while I sleep. It's freakin awesome.

& yes, videohive etc are all the same company, just different project files on each site.

@Vafann, cool, I shall keep that in mind and make sure I keep everything fressh :D

But it is more for people creating things that is usefull to other people ie templates, project files brushes actions etc not really for finished images or video clips. So if I wanted to sell for example youtube intro videos I would have to make a template which they can alter to their name and details, and not pay me to make the video for them.

it is for a range of things. if you were to create youtube intros, you'd simply upload the template file so the end user could change all the text themselves etc - if you get 1000 sales in a week, that is much better than getting 1000 clients as you wouldn't be able to work for them all.

the problem is a lot of my stuff is made in 2 programs so can I charge double for say an after effects template that is used to touch up a video made in cinema 4d here is an example of my biggest youtube intro I have made this year that people want me to make and another example I made messing around for a psg member here which is actually 2 cinema 4d projects and an after effects project made into 1 would that still be ok as long as i said programs needed cinema 4d and after effects
amd then I will stop hijacking your thread and going off topic

Well you see your files must be made so they are as 'usable' as possible. My flyers could be so much more arty and impacting, however i have to make them so they can be used and altered to the maximum possibility, therefore giving me as large a customer base as possible.

so basically make a template that should make the end buyer work no more than 30 mins to make it theire own project. I will have a dabble and see. could be a nice little bit of pocket money.

Back