What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASP - PHP - JSP ... which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jinky123

hi all,

ok guys , because I’m really confused --
which is better in order to have a good website
I need it secured , nut I want it fast also with a very good looking actually

could u help me with which one to choose plz ?
Thanks

D

dumferio

None of them is better but ASP is no longer developed, JSP is expensive to develop, PHP is totally free and there are more resources.

7Hunters

What no more ASP? Actually ASP is alive and well - it is referred to now as DOT asp or .asp and runs on the dot net framework.

So here is the low down on ASP vs. PHP -- sorry I don't know about JSP.

dot ASP 3.5 is what I'm learning currently, I already know PHP. PHP and ASP are very similar. ASP 3.5 is Microsoft and has to run on a Microsoft server. PHP can run on just about anything under the sun including such wonderful gadgets as a USB key and even an iPod (check out portable web servers and portable apps.)

PHP is easy to get up to speed with in a relatively small time span. Also there are a lot of scripts already made out there. (It is however fairly easy to hack.)

There will be people disagree with me - but basically PHP is easier to learn and easier to deploy than ASP. ASP however is more powerful and here is why.

ASP allows you to develop web applications that are more advanced than PHP, it also allows you to integrate more robust server support. You can build for dot net in several different languages and get them compiled. I'm just half way through my very first book on dot ASP. It's called dot ASP for Dummies and so far it's been a great book that I can read while I wait for this or that to load, move, delete, reboot etc.

It looks like I'll be learning Visual Basic and using it with my dot asp applications. I kind of blew off what ASP could do until I spent some serious time with a programmer who made his applications jump through hoops I didn't know were possible. After I started to comprehend just how powerful the dot net framework was I knew I had to learn it.

ASP also will pay you more than PHP because there are fewer people who are good at it. The programming required to do it well also qualifies you as a real dyed in the wool computer programmer so it makes you far more employable.

I hope this was helpful - cheers - 7hunters

vimal

You have to decide in proporation to your available resources. How much budget you will have. To get a dedicated server, or a shared server. How many visitors you portal will have in long time?
For example this is going to be a portal with lots of hits per day, and not enough budget to get a dedicated server, you sure will need to do it in Java (JSP).

One thing to help you is that PHP scripts are executed faster than ASP ones. And JSPs are executed faster than PHP. But PHP is the easiest among this 3 server-side scripting languages.

vimal

You have to decide in proporation to your available resources. How much budget you will have. To get a dedicated server, or a shared server. How many visitors you portal will have in long time?
For example this is going to be a portal with lots of hits per day, and not enough budget to get a dedicated server, you sure will need to do it in Java (JSP).

One thing to help you is that PHP scripts are executed faster than ASP ones. And JSPs are executed faster than PHP. But PHP is the easiest among this 3 server-side scripting languages.

johnpeter

HI JINKY,

ASP -- Microsoft's Active Server Pages is widely supported by inexpensive web hosting companies. Plus, there are many web sites and books about ASP with lots of free code. These are nice advantages.

JSP (Java Server Pages) -- My experience with JSP was while working at an e-commerce company running Sun, BEA WebLogic and Oracle. It was a J2EE, EJB, Java servlet e-commerce site in an n-tier environment on dedicated servers. Heavy duty stuff that is not for learning scripting.

PHP has origins in the C programming language. PHP is open source, runs on Unix and Windows servers. (Cool, because I write for whatever server my clients already have installed.)

My new Microsoft contact had never heard of PHP. Amazing because PHP is precisely the technology that they should be concerned about. Ironic because what initially got me started in developing Windows apps many moons ago was the fact that Microsoft gave away all the developer tools I needed to get started. Free! Zero startup costs to be a developer. Wow. Apple was the only alternative at that time, but becoming an Apple developer was much like paying to join a guild. I would have had to pony up several thousand dollars just to see the tools and begin developing. No contest.

PHP a bit, and it looks fantastic. However, I'm not sure that it's the -best- place for me to start.

pwslinks

hi all,

ok guys , because I’m really confused --
which is better in order to have a good website
I need it secured , nut I want it fast also with a very good looking actually

could u help me with which one to choose plz ?
Thanks

Hello,

For me it's a PHP... As we can search in most website,..they are now using PHP..

kevin993

I think that you basically work on PHP and thus have this viewpoint. I have worked on both the languages and JSP beats PHP in almost every aspect except that in speed both are the same for small applications but definitely JSP for the larger ones and the other is that PHP is bit easier to code while developing small services . JSP is better approved and is used by most big organizations , its is powered by Java which is ultimate language for cross-platform…

smithseo

Nowadays most of the USA & UK clients want to develop their web projects using PHP, The attraction behind PHP is, server is totally free of cost and many more frame works are available for programmers to built an application.

Last edited:

Steve

Retired Administrator

nirma1230

Banned
php is better i am using this, and here is some advantages and disavantages of php which is following, read this you will automatically come to know which is better

• PHP is accessible
  • ** It's available for free
    • It's available with documentation in many languages
    • There are many support groups, forums, and teams supporting PHP
    • There is a wealth of online information regarding PHP
  • It's quick to develop in PHP
  • ** A basic PHP script can be created without a firm understanding of programming principals, compilation, and other currently important programming concepts
    • PHP is loosely typed, which makes basic scripts much faster to develop with less attention to design
  • Programmers of Java, PERL, BASIC, and other popular languages can find many parallels to ease transition to PHP
  • PHP is flexible. Use OOP or not. Use naming convention(s) or not
  • It runs on many different operating systems
  • It can be optimized, even "compiled" for performance closer to that of more established compiled languages

Disadvantages:

• Out of the box, PHP tends to execute more slowly than assembly, C, and other compiled languages
  • PHP is loosely typed. For developers of all skill levels, this allows room for unexpected behavior due to programmer error that many other languages might not permit. [Of course, few if any languages can protect from developer error!]
  • There are many ways to do one thing, and many cases where a function has ambiguous handling due to legacy support or PHP development history.

Advantages:
- Open Source, readily available (you can be using it today) and dual-
licensed - if you are doing non-profit work or not licensing, there is no cost.
- Very Easy to understand Syntax, some really cool features (arrays
are something else!)
- Interfaces very easily with Apache/MySQL
- Server side (no need to futz with client installs - only with
rendering issues if you use CSS).
- Lots of good source code out there to use and/or learn from, as well
as many useful libraries for working with PDFs, graphics, etc.
- Lots of good books and on-line help (php.net is great)
- Platform agnostic, can run on Windows Linux or Mac servers. Also
very scalable.
- Lots of hosting services have it ready to use, no special
configuration (except if you have special security needs)
- Pretty easy to access other web-based tools through PHP (i.e. google
maps, etc.)

Disadvantages

- If you want to do more than just HTML/CSS pages on the client you
need to also add javascript, java or other client-side language in
your output (goes for Perl and some other languages).
- The way browsers work make handling data and coding programs more
interesting (technically each page is a new run on the system, so you
have to manage your variables coming in and going out and between
pages. Not hard, just different.)
- Web programming (regardless of language) is open to security flaws
due to unimplemented or unknown vulnerabilities, takes a bit more
caution.

Steve

Retired Administrator

munawarmunir

Banned
See every one has his point of view, for me ASP(Latest ASP.NET) is best as it has complete functionality of opp, database integration and much much more which php and jsp can not even smell.

Paul

Former Member
Is it just me or is spam just allowed here of late, it's so obvious these are here to just lock and load - post counts a post count i suppose?

Status
Not open for further replies.