What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Design Basics

Web design is the skill of designing presentations of content (usually hypertext or hypermedia) that is delivered to an end-user through the World Wide Web, by way of a Web browser or other Web-enabled software like Internet television clients, microblogging clients and RSS readers.
________
Teen Cams

Last edited:
M

Moriah Christie

learning about web design is as fast or as slow as you make it. there are a lot of different concepts to go over, but if you have a grasp of basic programming you will see that a lot of things are repeated over and over again. I recommend taking some courses and seeing what you think, if it is hard then go through the program, but if it seems easy then they arnt moving fast enough for you and you should just make a portfolio of what you can do. modern web apps use (some of) the following: php, asp, sql, java, jsp, javascript, perl, ruby, css, html.
most of them fall into similar categories, like php, perl and asp all can do very similar functions, and java jsp and javascript all follow java syntax

vimal

Some great places to learn anything about programming or design are W3Schools or YouTube! W3Schools offers the entire syntax of several amazing web languages. Youtube offers visual tutorials and different points-of-view's.

nakul8989

Using web sites should be easy and pleasant, just like a great experience in a shop, hotel, or library. I believe that the all Web sites can be made lovable - easy, rewarding and pleasurable to use.Whenever you open up a web site, or a particular directory on a web site, without asking for a particular page, the web server will give you the default page or index page.

All you need to know for now is that every folder in your site should have a file named something like index.html. Otherwise, if someone browses to your site/folder, they may be presented with a list of web pages to choose from (not very professional), or may possible be given an error message!

SBP

Great web design begins and ends with purpose. What is the purpose of your site. This must be clearly defined by you, or your client. Only once exactly what you want your website to do and how that fits into the overall business structure (if it is for a business) is determined can you you design a clean, concise site that is powerful, effective, and efficient. Bells and whistles are great but too many or used incorrectly they go from beautiful powerful music, to noise. My biggest example is every client I talk to wants a flash site with a walk on them and a site pal because they saw one "rockin' " site with all that on it and I have to calm them down and say okay what are you doing and what piece of the puzzle will this fill? I may have a client or two that gets a full flash site with some or all of that, but most will get a simple, direct site tailored for their industry.